Newbie Sub question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dako 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I have been into car audio for a long time,however I am about to make my first foray into the world of Subwoofers. I have a few questions that I know the folks out here can answer:

1) what is the difference in a single/dual voice coil sub?

2)Is there any difference in the way  the above get wired?

3)My current system consists of an Alpine CDA-9827 HU,Focal 165V2 comps in the front doors,Focal 690CV in the rear deck powered by a TRU T4.65.I am going to use an Alpine amp that can be bridged into two channels x 100 @ 4ohms to drive  two 10 " subs.

My question here is,would I cable from the subwoofer output of the head unit to the amp with a RCA cable? I believe my HU only has a single sub output.How would I get from there to the two channles on my amp?Y-connectors?Please inform me of any specifics that I may need.

4)Will 100 watts be sufficient to drive the subs and match up with my current amplification to the front and rear speakers?Looking for fullness of sound and not so much thump(if that makes any sense).

Can someone also recommend a good pair of 10"subs to be used in an enclosure.

I will look at my owners manuals and try to make some sense of it.

Sorry for the drawn out post.

Dave

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

The only difference in SVC and DVC subs are wiring options. DVC subs offer more options as they can be wired in parallel, series and the third option which SVC subs do not have...Series/Parallel wiring. www.bcae1.com will have everything you'll need to know concerning this matter and just about anything else you'd want to know.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, your first dive into sub woofers.

As far as your question concerning DVC and SVC subs, The main difference is that a DVC sub gives you more wireing option than a SVC sub does. Identicle subs that are offered in SVC and DVC configurations usually handle the same amount of power.

I take it that you have a 4 channel amp that you want to bridge to 2 channels? Well, this generally isn't suggested as you would be running the subs in stereo and it is most offten better to run them in mono, more people will explain why or you can do a search for *mono vs. stereo. There have been several discussions on here a\on that topic.

Well, what is your budget for the subs?

The vehicle they are going into?

Are you willing to upgrade the electrical system if needed?

What type of music do you listen too?

Are you going for SPL or SQ?

Are you willing to replace the current amp that you say you want to use?

Well, first off before deciding on amplification, you need to figure out what subs you actually want.

Second, after you set your mind on a particular sub, then you need to figure out what type of box that you are  going to put them in.

Third, I would bet rid of that amp and purchase a mono amp. Something that will match up with the RMS power handling of the subs.

If you could answer some of the questions above, we will be able to answer your questions a little better.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
dako 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
racer427 wrote:

Ok, your first dive into sub woofers.

As far as your question concerning DVC and SVC subs, The main difference is that a DVC sub gives you more wireing option than a SVC sub does. Identicle subs that are offered in SVC and DVC configurations usually handle the same amount of power.

I take it that you have a 4 channel amp that you want to bridge to 2 channels? Well, this generally isn't suggested as you would be running the subs in stereo and it is most offten better to run them in mono, more people will explain why or you can do a search for *mono vs. stereo. There have been several discussions on here a\on that topic.

Well, what is your budget for the subs?

Don't have a set budget,if I lie what I hear,I will buy it.

The vehicle they are going into?

1999 Hond Accord,in the trunk

Are you willing to upgrade the electrical system if needed?

To a certain degree

What type of music do you listen too?

Metal,Jazz,Classic Rock

Are you going for SPL or SQ?

Sound Quality

Are you willing to replace the current amp that you say you want to use?

I want to keep the TRU,I can replace the Alpine

Well, first off before deciding on amplification, you need to figure out what subs you actually want.

I was thinking JL Audio 10 inch,no bigger than 10"

Second, after you set your mind on a particular sub, then you need to figure out what type of box that you are  going to put them in.

Wouldn't the box have to be built to the specs of the woofer?

Third, I would bet rid of that amp and purchase a mono amp. Something that will match up with the RMS power handling of the subs.

If you could answer some of the questions above, we will be able to answer your questions a little better.

Hopefully that helps a bit.Thanks for the reply

Chris

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just to get this straight. There are absolutely NO differences in performance between the same subwoofer in  SVC and DVC configs.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic