the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Low volume distortion during installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
No, the head will more than likely send a signal for each speaker and a common ground for all speakers to the hidden amplifier. The factory head will still control the fade and balance. You must attach the LOC wires after the hidden amplifier. The simplest way to do this is to find either the front or rear speaker wires and tie into them. Another good suggestion here is to not use the built in LOC in the amp, buy yourself a good outboard LOC from PAC, Soungate or Scosche. These are far superior and offer far more flexibility than the built in LOC does, especially in the amount of signal that the amp receives.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
supraturbo94 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Finally got back to this, I think I'm going to buy an LOC, but I'd like to make sure it will help before I spend the $$.
One other question I have, will noise and resultant crackling of the sound lead to weak bass? The 6.5" mid is mounted on a custom 1/2" mdf baffle with deadening and using the door as an infinite baffle, and the bass is pretty crappy (it doesn't compare to the factory Bose in our '97 Maxima). Or is this most likely a problem with the speaker install itself? There is a large opening with no metal in the inner door where the little factory speaker box was. I did not reinforce this (mdf baffle is just large enough to hold the speaker in place and does not cover the hole) but just laid the deadening over it. Could the deadening be flexing enough to trash the bass or is something else the problem?
supraturbo94 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Finally got a David Navone NE-774V and hooked everything up tonight and.....much better. I don't get any distortion now until much louder volumes. I do have a couple more questions though:
1. Gain setting: the LOC says to keep the gains at max if possible. Doing this barely allows me to raise the gain on the amp before hitting distortion (at a reasonably loud level, but it seems to me it should be better). How do I properly set these (I don't have a test CD)?
2. From my post above, do I need to better reinforce the deadening over the holes in the inner door? I'm looking for SQ here and am not sure how important that is to the speaker performance.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

I would suggest using your DMM to measure voltage while setting the LOC.  You can use the amp's speaker output terminals while the gain is all the way down.  When the voltage is at (or near) the maximum input the amp will allow (look up the voltage input range in the manual), then use the amp's gain.  In a perfect world, the amp's gain will have to be turned just slightly to match the input level, as that would be the greatest signal to noise ratio.

Layer the door panel with solid damping including covering all the holes.  The baffle that your driver is mounted to must feel solid when you push against it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic