icon

At what Freq does sound become directiona

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Just as the title said I am wondering at what freq does sound become dirretional and also what kinda freq range is it important to make sure you have stereo sound. Sub woofers are wired in mono all the time because thats what gets the most power outta an amp. But when you bridge a amp down does it combine the stereo signal as well. I thought before it did but wanted to souble check. I am exploring the option of a single 8 in a center console to cover the frequencies from like 80hz to say 150-200. Resaon why is that I think that if I crossover the front speakers higher that I should also be able to get more volume outta them without causing the distortion. This is for the most part hypothetical and also partly cause I am bored right now but input is appreciated.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
It's like anything over 80hz. And I don't know what the heck your trying to do dude lol
Oh and I feel ya on the bordem part I just installed a bass shaker under my driver's seat.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
It DOES depend on the venue... In a car, the TINY venue that it is, directionality STARTS at a wavelength that is equal to the distance between your ears... so directionality is a little bit different for everybody.
Yes, when an amplifier is bridged, it produces a quasi-mono. True mono can ONLY come from a single microphone/tape track/amp channel/speaker. They really MUST be all mono, or you will only end up with smeared stereo... Unless ALL spatial cues are either not recorded or removed removed after the fact, you don't get mono. Life, BTW is a stereo experience... anybody that has ever been in a real anechoic chamber knows how disconcerting it is to have no spatial cues... This is why we have two ears. Echolocation, literally.
Oh, and it's 6:52.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

With that explanation, I wonder which would be better:  to run just the left signal input for sub bass (or mono midbass), or to combine left and right with a Y-cable for a...ahem...mono input.  It seems that it wouldn't be perfect mono in either case for frequencies 80Hz to 200Hz, but one way has got to be better than the other.

??

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I did a little more searching... What do you guys think of this? Not a bad price, either... Seems they have a 5.25 inch version as well...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
seems like a sales pitch to me. Two tweeters dont give you stereo sound, just gives you two tweeters. Also you notice they said dual voice coil to imply that you would get stereo that way as well but we all know that that is bullshhh. Like I said it seems like a sales pitch
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think it has two tweeters to just help disperse the sound more evenly. It is kind of a sales pitch saying it has "stereo sound" though.
haemphyst 
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
We all KNOW it can't give stereo sound, but the two tweeters are not just two tweeters, they are wired individually to the individual voice coils of the woofer... It does play both channels of the signal...
Sales pitch? Wha...? You mean there's somebody out there that might misrepresent a product?!?!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

Sure it could be stereo.  It's just a VERY narrow soundstage. At what Freq does sound become directiona -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic