icon

Amplifier Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lasergrad2001 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question....I bought a Sony XM-D500X Mono Amplifier and installed it in my car.  I bought it off of Techronics.com, and I'm sure it is new.  I hooked it up to a Audiobahn 12" Flame Q Subwoofer and it worked for a couple of minutes, then just stopped.  I looked on the amp and the Power Protector light wasn't on.  I checked all the fuses and they were fine.  With the car not running, I measured the voltage at the power terminal on the amp, and it measured a little over 12V.  I then started the car and measured the voltage at the power terminal and it measured 3V.  I also measured the voltage at the Remote turn-on with the car running, and it measured a little under 2V.  I contacted Sony and they said to disconnect the amp and let it sit for 15 minutes to allow the amp to "reset" itself.  I did that, and it still doesn't work.  I just want to make sure that there isn't anything else I should do/check before I send it in for repairs....(Techronics.com doesn't do product exchanges, which really sucks)  BTW....I would advise to stay away from Techronics.com.  I have heard that they aren't the best people to deal with, but thought I would give them a shot.....guess I'm paying for it now.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
And people wonder why it costs a little more to buy their stuff at a brick-and-mortar...
The amp is fried... Are your woofers DVC? Are they all in parallel? For a net load of one ohm? Is the amp one ohm stable? Sony, I'd bet not...
I'll hazard some answers to those questions... Yes, Yes, Yes, No...
How'm I doin'? Sorry, man, the amp needs to go back to Sony, but I bet you won't buy anything online again soon, right? Also, make certain you have adequate power cable for your amp... Crutchfied claims it needs a number 4 power cable and ground. It can't hurt to have a cable that big, but I don't believe that amp would EVER use a #4 cable...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lasergrad2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

To answer your questions....the sub is a Dual 4 Ohm voice coil, it is wired in parallel....which would be a net load of 2 Ohms....and yes the Amp is 2 Ohm stable.  The amp is said to put out 500W RMS at a 2 Ohm load.  The sub can handle 1100W RMS. 

I have Street Wires 4 Gauge wiring for both the Power and Ground cables, along with an 80A fuse (the amp itself has 2 40 amp fuses). 

Here is something else that I found on this site...I found another post from around 2 years ago (Sony Amp Question?...posted by underground)  He said that he was still showing 13V when he used a DMM to test the voltage on the amp after it had been sitting for 2 days.  Well.....I thought I would see what would happen when I tried it.  My amp has been disconnected for over 2 hours, and it is still showing 12V across the Power terminal.  I'm guess that the amp is completely toast.  If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free.  I would like as much advise as possible.  Thanks.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry man, I did not read your post accurately Amplifier Problem -- posted image.... I did not see you only had one woofer, I assumed you had two.
Still, the amp sounds to me like you could put butter on it, and enjoy it with a glass of OJ in the morning... Atkins friendly, BTW Amplifier Problem -- posted image.
I would still say it's Sony bound for repair.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lasergrad2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
It's cool , I figured you thought I had two.  I wish I could have two...but my Dodge Neon wouldn't have much of a trunk left.....the one ported box takes up plenty of space.  I appreciate your help.  I'm waiting on an RMA from Techronics.com so I can send it back to them. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic