opinion on alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
xenon2000 wrote:

The remote start is so silly with only 40-50 feet range. By the time I am close enough to activate the RS, I am already at my car by the time it even does the first crank cycle. And that is with a slow walk. Takes WAY too long to do the first crank over. Should start cranking within 1 sec after the confirmation tones. Not like it takes that long for the fuel pump to charge the system.

I think you should try to reposition the antenna.  Also, I would suggest relearning the tach at a higher RPM.  Your car idles at 200? 

And I have yet to install a RS that starts the car within 1 second of getting the confirmation for RS.  Most take about 10 or so seconds.  Why do you need it to start within 1 sec if you aren't going to your car for about 10 minutes.

I have installed many of these alarms.  I know that I can start the cars easily when I am in front of our store and the cars are in the back lot.  Is your antenna pinched somewhere?  Try relocating it?  etc... etc....

You sound like you know the features you want and are not willing to settle for anything else.  Maybe these items are not design flaws but are part of the design and you just don't care for them.  Does that make it a bad alarm? 

xenon2000 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
OhioMike1101 wrote:
I think you should try to reposition the antenna.  Also, I would suggest relearning the tach at a higher RPM.  Your car idles at 200? 

My car doesn't idle at 200, I said I would like the RPM door locking to happen after a 200rpm increase. Meaning, 200 rpms over my normal 700rpm idle. So would be nice to have it lock at around 900-1000 rpms. Right now it locks at a much higher rpm.

OhioMike1101 wrote:
And I have yet to install a RS that starts the car within 1 second of getting the confirmation for RS.  Most take about 10 or so seconds.  Why do you need it to start within 1 sec if you aren't going to your car for about 10 minutes.

This is true as well. I would personally like it to happen sooner. But even though my other RS unit doesn't do it in 1 sec either, it's also not 30 secs like this Galaxy 5000RS. My other unit that I like much better starts in about 5-6 sec after the tones. 1 sec would just be my ideal timing. Also, if my range was much better, than I might actually bother starting the car sooner so that a 30sec delay would be less of a big deal. Also, with 1-way remotes, I don't like standing there waiting to see if the car successfully starts. 2-way would make this 30 sec delay less of an issue for me. Again, I like the short delay on my other alarm.

OhioMike1101 wrote:
I have installed many of these alarms.  I know that I can start the cars easily when I am in front of our store and the cars are in the back lot.  Is your antenna pinched somewhere?  Try relocating it?  etc... etc....

If my range was that good, I probably never would have bothered to post and vent as much as I have. My wiring is perfect. Nothing is pinched. But that doesn't mean the placement is perfect for this unit. I have it the same as my other brand unit which works fine with a horizontal placement at the top left on the windshield. Is vertical or horizontal recommended for this unit?

OhioMike1101 wrote:
You sound like you know the features you want and are not willing to settle for anything else.  Maybe these items are not design flaws but are part of the design and you just don't care for them.  Does that make it a bad alarm? 

In my opinion and comparison, the 5000RS 1-way that I have installed.... sucks. It appears to work the way it was designed. Compared to my LogixStart LSA9624 RS 1-way that is 3.5 years old, the galaxy 5000RS is much slower to the frist crank cycle, and several other features I have mentioned also have ill timing algorithyms or processes. Because of the easily comparible differences. I could not recommend this alarm to anyone. Maybe the Galaxy 5000RS 1-way design is acceptable to others, but it is not acceptable to me and so therefore it is a bad alarm and I feel it's helpful to post my findings.

As for the range, that is debatable. There are so many car differences and placement differences that I can't guarauntee that the poor range I am experiencing would be the same for everyone. My opinion (other than the debatable range) is to stay away from ScyTek. If you had read all my posting in this thread, you would also know that the biggest reason for saying to stay away from ScyTek is that I have had no luck emailing them and after many phone calls and finding a new number, I finally talked to some of the employees and they are rude and unhelpful. If you never have to talk to your suppliers, retailers, or the manufacture's, then you would most likely not care about this claim. Even if this alarm was perfect and the best alarm out there, I would not buy their products again, solely based on my experience with ScyTek themselves. Again, take my opinions and findings as you like. If anyone that installs this alarm has specific antenna positions and placement recommendations (other than "Try another location"), I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic