Which way to go

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ChrisOH 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I have a Becker Mexico pro head unit feeding a Ground Zero 4 channel amp.  The speakers are components in the front and composite in the rear (also Ground Zero) and a sub in the boot.

Car is a 3 series saloon so bass from the boot is a problem.

The sub and rear speakers are connected to the same channels and there is a low pass filter and independent volume control.

Currently the sub is in a standard box in the boot but i am considering a custom enclosure.   Also wondering about separate amplification for the sub

What is the best way to proceed given the objective is sound quality rather than spl?

Regards

Chris

Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
use seperate amps that way everything can have its own crossover settings{put the 4 speakers on a 4 channel amp and the sub on a monoblock or 2 channel amp}
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
You said that the sub and the rear speakers are on the same channel? Are you saying they are hooked up on the same channels of the amp or that the RCA's on the deck are the rear ones that are feeding signal to the amp or did you just mean that the sub and the rear speakers are on the same AMP. Reason why I ask that is that if the rear speakers and the sub are hooked up on the same channels on the amp and the low pass is turned on then you are not using your rear speakers properly at all and are probally gonna smoke em off right away. You wanna set a hpf on your speakers in the car and use a lpf on the sub. I agree with the above statement though. Getting a second amp to run the sub and then using the 4 channel for your speakers is probally best. However if you are only budgetting for one amp then I would either hook up the rear speakers to the deck and use the amp to run the fronts or run both sets of speakers to the front channels of the amp and wire it in 2 ohm stereo with one front and one rear on each channel and then use the rear channels on the amp bridged to run the sub. There's my two cents. Also make sure the box is buit to spec for best results.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
ChrisOH 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks gents

http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/13_download/manuals/manual_gzna.pdf 

The amp is the 4 channel illustrated in the link. 

I think it will be a monoblock for the sub because intuitively the more control the better for my money.

Alternatively the idea of attaching the two sets of speakers to the same channel had occured but i am aiming for sound quality and want tokeep the soundstage up front, using the rears for fill only.  Does this make sense?

Chris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic