icon

GM Factory DVD Unit Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdff17 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have an overhead DVD unit from a 2003 GM.  I want to install it in another vehicle and need some help with wiring.  The unit is a Panasonic model# CN-SG0362ZC.   I got the plug that goes from the vehicle side to the DVD unit it has a pink wire, orange wire, black with white stripe wire and in a seperate foil covered set of wires is a bare wire, black w/white stripe, brownw/ white stripe and green w/ white stripe. Anyone know whats what.   I am going to put this in a 2000 Ford Expedition with factory stereo so wiring it for sound through the stereo is another concern any help would be appretiated.  Thanks...Mike     mpdff17@msn.com

mdff17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
  After doing more reasearch I found the wiring info I need but now I have a bigger problem.  The DVD unit has a pink wire that is a Data Bus wire that connects to the GM radio and the unit will not power up unless that is hooked up can I bypass that somehow or am I SOL on using this unit.  Thanks
wmanning 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Not to my knowledge I origonaly poster the pin outs for this unit and I have searched and tested alot.  Still can't get it to power up
jfoj 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
wmanning, check your private messages!
jfoj
dtxxdt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have a similar problem with a Panasonic DVD player model # 15200217. I want to install it into a Nissan vehicle, and I have no idea which wire is which. Just like mdff17 I have 2 sets of wires. One of them is wraped in a foil like material with 4 wires, one bare, one green with white, one brown with white, and one black with white. The other set has 3 wires: orange, green with white, and black with white.
Does anybody know what is the pin out for this unit?
Any help will be greately apreciated.
Dant35@hotmail.com
jfoj 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
See this link:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=50354&KW=Rear+DVD
The problem is this unit needs a serial data line connected to it with specific information to wake the unit up!!
I have a unit pulled apart here trying to reverse engineer it so it can work in a stand alone configuration. Not sure if I will suceed?? Need information for a specific NEC ASIC DVD chip which I have not been able to find as of yet.
Will advise if I have any luck.
jfoj
dtxxdt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Super usefull info, thanks, thanks, thanks.
Now I have a question. When I was trying to power up the unit I connected the Black w/white stripe to ground and the orange to +12V from battery. Also I connected the green w/black stripe (data link wire) to +12V. Do you think I fried the unit by connecting the data wire to the +12V ?
Thanks again
dtxxdt
jfoj 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Do not know if you fried anything? There are a few small chips that accept the data input before shipping the info to the main processor. Connecting the data wire to 12 Volts is not going to get you anywhere. This DVD player has power when connected properly, but is in a standby mode until it has the datastream from what I can tell.
Still searching for a way to hack or bypass this data stream issue. May need someone to come up with a circuit that spoofs the data stream, making it appear this DVD player is connected to a vehicle??
Coming up cold on info for the main NEC chipset that is in this player that accepts the data stream input.
Still searching for info.
jfoj
dtxxdt 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there,
What kind of datastreem are we talking about? Where is coming from ? Is it from any GM radio (Dvd equipped vehicles) ? If so could it be isolated, copy/recorded on to a memory of some sort? Any body, any ideas.
Thanks guys.
jfoj 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
It appears the data stream comes either from the radio head unit and/or the BCM. It appears this data stream is a newer automotive serial class 2 data standard, J-1850. I did finally find the NEC chip info, however, it is not as much help as I had originally hoped. It appears this chip is a 80 pin, automotive specific, microprocessor with multiple I/O groups and and has on board flash memory, so it can be programmed as well. The DVD player keyboard ties into this processor as well.
I have been somewhat overshadowed by other events, so this is taking somewhat of a back seat, no pun, for the moment. I need to see if there is someway to change the state of a specific output to "wake" up the DVD play.
If someone has any ideas about a PIC module that would play a looped copy of the J-1850 datastream, this might be another solution. I unfortunately do not have the expierence or time for this type of project.
I did however, get the newest PAC VCI-GM2 interface (which now includes 2 video inputs!!) for my NAV radio and modified my DVD with a video output and tied it into my NAV unit. I can now watch the DVD on the front NAV radio while waiting for the wife or kids and when I get my reverse camera, I will then be able to find the rear of the Yukon XL before I (OR THE WIFE) hit something. I just need to clean up some slight beat/ground noise in the video from the DVD unit and I will be set.
Will update if I get any further info.
jfoj
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic