the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alpine type r questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

ok, the question... what do you guys think of these? i had a ton of stuff i was going to put in my car... but i sold it all, sooo now i'm trying to figure out what i want to do, and i am getting an alpine deck, so i was thinkin of just running everything alpine.. but as for the subs, i have never heard the new r's, you guys think they are any good as far as sq and spl? are they better suited for sq? or spl? and are they worth what they cost? any other subs you think i should go for in the same price range, i'm getting out of wanting just spl, i'm not really that into it anymore, i'm thinkin i'm going to switch over to bi amp system for the front / rear stage and run some good subs in the back, not just loud shhh.... i'm also thinkin about maybe getting 4 good subs and running those, so i can tune them down to sound good, and still have it be loud... what do you guys think?

i have a grand prix 2 door btw, think 4 12's are a bit much for it?

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

i'm also thinkin about DD 3512's instead, but i'm sore about their rep being shhhty to me last time, HAHA, i know that's a bad reason to not use their product, but whatever

i don't know why i can't deside, haha

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
The new Type R's can be one hell of an SPL sub. To tell you the truth you won't need more than 1-2 woofs to put up good numbers so long as you have a good box design. I know a guy doing a 150.5 with a single Type R 12 out of the trunk in his Monte Carlo. They can handle some power too.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
How's the SQ on those if you've got 'em in a sealed box?? I'm debating between the Alpine and the MB Quart 12"...
-Drew
Captanham 
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
yea, i know very well how 2 12's can do, i've had 2 shhhty 12's run a 150 in a good box with clean power (they were power acoustics) BUT, i'm thinkin of doin 4 just for the scare factor, haha, they look cool like that, and i'm lookin for somethin i can do a crazy FG setup for
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Captanham 
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
so i might only do 4 after thinkin about it,, i'm not sure tho, cause i don't wanna get these and have them be worse then what i'm selling, i have 2 fusion 12's, and they have a 94.5 db sensitivity rating, and all i can find on the r's say that they have an 85! but i know the r's are good subs and have low distortion, still.. anyone else use these yet? or install them for anyone?    haha, i also think that the new surround on these is REALLY ugly, but i can deal with that
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

How much space do you have to work with? Running 4 Type R's in an undersized box won't do you any good in an SPL oriented setup. As far as the SQ goes, i've heard they're respectable, however a sealed box does not mean better SQ and you'll find that a properly tuned ported box can sound better than certain subs do sealed (the Type R being one of them). This is of course assuming you're not looking for a perfectly flat response, which many people wouldn't appreciate at all.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Captanham 
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
i'm not sure exactly how much room i have, i haven't mesured yet, i plan on building a low tuned box, and i know it's going to be massive, even if i'm only doing 2 it's still going to be big, i might try and just run three or something, i d k, i was just trying to see if people thought the new R's were worth anything, cause they look fancy and all, but like i said, i hadn't gotten a chance to play with them....
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Captanham 
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  

also, i've been messin with winisd, and i'm thinkin the DD 3512 MIGHT just be a better sub over all, with similar box size and port size, i just can't get the r's to match up with the dd's, the dd has a lower cut out freq at the same db gain, that would make it a much beter sq sub correct? it seems that these type r's need a box that's just WWAAAAY bigger than the digital designs do, but i'm not sure if i have the 05 specs on the alpine anyways

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
audiobass10 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

DD's are great SPL subs, but the Type R should walk all over it in the SQ department.  With that being said you really can't follow winisd all that closely. I say go with 1 or 2 Type R's. 3.5 cu ft per sub tuned to 35-40 hz would be excellent for what you're looking to do. There's nothin scarier then putting up big numbers with a single sub setup, especially when the sub can be had for $150.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic