icon

Amplifier getting hot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ksw870 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I just hooked my system up, a 1000 watt class D memphis amp to a 10" audiobahn 1000 watt rmx sub usingh 0 gauge wires, but my amp is getting really hot...any ideas what is wrong?
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Have you properly set your gains?? Do you have the amplifier in a place where it will get some type of ventilation, if not, do you have a fan installed with it???? What is you ohm load on your amplifier??

This can all be factors in why it is getting hot, give a little more information and maybe it will give a little more narrowing down of your problem.

ksw870 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know how to properly set my gains...
Its out in the middle of the open in the back of an suv.
I dont think it has a fan
and the amp is 1 ohm stable
spyder340 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
the way i set my gain is start about 1/4, turn the radio bass level down to a mid neg. number, turn the volume up to where you will be listening to it at, and slowly turn up the gain til the sub starts distorting then back it off til it doesnt anymore. have u go any form of bass boost turned on?
96 firechicken- kicker cvr 15's, spl 1600 watt, optima yellow top, 2.0 farad cap, sealed box and 146.8 db :)<---now upto 147.2 S2 meca class, going for 128 on a drive by :)
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Do some searches here on gain setting.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
ksw870 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2005 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
its a factory headunit, gmc with no bose or anything. So i dont got a negative on the bass and it has no bass boost.
ksw870 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
the amplifiers not getting hot anymore or anything, but i cant get my subwoofer to sound right. Its distorted at almost any gain setting except 0. It hits clean for a split second but sounds like somthing is rattling inside the box. But its the subwoofer, like somthing is rattling on it. It hits clean for split seconds then it just has a rattling sound. Its like one of the voice coils is bad or somthing. Its a 2 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer. I was thinking about mounting it backwards so i could see if somthing was rattling it. maybe the speaker wires or somthing.
HEres the link to how i got my sub wired and what kind of sub it is.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=55310&PN=2
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
It's an Audiobahn!!!! That's what is wrong with it. Seriously, It sounds like it's gone. One thing I don't understand- how does it play at all with the gain at 0?
'85 Toy
ksw870 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
It doesnt play at all...I was just saying thats the only time it doesnt make that noise. And its a brand new subwoofer, so I doubt that its messed up. It just must have something to do with the way i got it wired or somthin.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
You have audiobahn, you probably have a ported box. Turn the subsonic filter on. Are you running speaker level inputs on the amplifier? How are you doing this?
Recheck wiring.
No luck, bite the bullet and take it to a professional.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic