icon

Navigator Speakers Cut Out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy1170 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

I pray someone can help me with this!  I installed an MTX amp and sub in my 2005 Lincoln Navigator.  The factory stereo does not have RCA outs, so I used speaker-level input into the amp.  When I turn on the car, the amp does not turn on, and the factory speakers don't work - but the factory sub does!?  If I  unplug the speaker level input from the amp (with the car still running), the factory speakers turn on!  Then...if I plug the speaker inputs back into the amp, all speakers work, including the amp and the sub!  Everything works perfect.  So here's the catch, when I turn the car off, then back on again, the same problem happens all over again!  I need to unplug the speaker inputs to the amp, and voila', the factory speakers turn back on, then I need to re-plug in the amp again.

Has this every happened to anyone else?  What is causing this - and more importantly - how do I fix it?  Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

tdm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the input impedence on the amplifier speaker level inputs is too low and is causing the amplifier in the OEM stereo to think there is a speaker shorted out.  The head unit amp is shutting down.  Try adding a good quality line-output converter insted of using the speaker level inputs on the amp.  Also, if there is a factory sub why not use the signal there for the additional sub? I also suggest you may want to disconnect the factory sub.
Support the12volt.com
tommy1170 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you DYohn for the help.  Any thoughts on why it works once it is unplugged then plugged back in?  Also, what is a line-output converter, what does it do, and how does it work?  Lastly, where can I buy one?  Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate your help!  Thanks - Tom
tdm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
A line output converter , like this one.  Or something similar.  I am guessing that the reason it works after it's started with the amp disconnected may have to do with the startup load in the amp.  Does your Lincoln have the THX/Nav system?
Support the12volt.com
tommy1170 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know why, but for some reason I listed my truck as a 2005 - its not - its a 2000.  It does not have the THX/Nav system.  I tried splicing the input wires from the factory amp to my MTX amp, using the RCA inputs, but the input level was way too low.  As a last resort, I tried taking the speaker wires from the factory sub amp and connecting them to my MTX sub enclosure and that worked the best.  Problem is, I can't figure out which wire is positive, and which is negative, and I don't want to blow the sub up by running it in reverse.  I'm mega-disapointed that I can't seem to get my MTX amp to work.  Its 450 watts and it thumps when its working right.  I would throw out the factory head unit and get a good aftermarket unit, but the factory unit has steering wheel controls and a 6-disk CD changer, all of which are integrated.  At a minimum, I'd be happy for now if I could figure out which of the factory amp speaker wires is positive, and which is negative.  Thanks for all of your help - it is much appreciated...

Tom

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

tommy1170 wrote:
At a minimum, I'd be happy for now if I could figure out which of the factory amp speaker wires is positive, and which is negative.

See my answer to this in https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=55388&PN=1

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tommy1170 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn-

I ordered the LOC you recommended from Crutchfield.  I should have it tomorrow and I am going to see if I can get it to work.  Now, the last thing I will need to do to solve the puzzle is to figure out where I can find an accessory 12v wire to power the amp's remote on.  Of course, the factory HU does not have a remote out, so that's going to be a challenge as well.  Thanks for all of your help and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...

tdm
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a factory subwoofer then there is an amp and it does have an amp turn on coming of the radio. There should be an 8 pin connector on the radio that has the subwoofer audio signal and the amp turn on. Pin 4 is the amp turn on, but it is only a 5 volt turn on. A relay may work to get a 12 volt turn on. When we add amps to those vehicles we use the TRIGLOHD from Soundgate to get a 12 volt turn on from the factory amp turn on lead.
Jazzy
tommy1170 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

jstruckman - that is EXACTLY what I needed!  Thank you.  The LOC worked like a charm - even had output levels to balance the output of the sub vs. the factory speakers.  All I need to do now is to hook up the TRIGHOHD and I will be good to go!  Thanks everyone - this has been fantastic!

tdm
sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
hello, i am in the middle of installing a amp and subs in a 2005 navigator. the guy is keeping the stock radio. if any one can help, asap it would be great it is 2pm eastern time now.
i can't seem to find any wire to tap in for a remote turn-on. can u help me  please.
list a few different options, also if u are familiar with the truck please let me know where the easiest place to take it is from. thank buddy, i owe u.

p.s. it has the THX / NAVI  system

if u know what color wire is pos and neg, at the factory amp that would help alot too. there are 4 wires :  PURPLE , GREEN , BLACK with a Green tracer , and BLACK with a white tracer.
and after the harnes and b 4 it gets to the sub they turn black, red, white and blue.

the reason i am asking is because i am wiring a line out converter from there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic