icon

Seal MDF the wood not the joints?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
03sdccfx4 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

What is the best thing to use to seal the wood itself?  Does it need to be sealed?  I was going to do it just in the event that water, moisture, or other liquid was to get on it, to keep the wood from coming apart.

I have all my wood cut now and should be screwin' and gluein' later tonight or tommorrow evening.

'03 F-250 CC Fx4
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
You can use standard wood sealer.
It's not necessary though, but a good idea if there's a chance for water contact.
Or you could fiberglass the outside. It'd look good, and seal it.
03sdccfx4 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
You can use standard wood sealer.
It's not necessary though, but a good idea if there's a chance for water contact.
Or you could fiberglass the outside. It'd look good, and seal it.

Fiber glass like just one layer and then paint?

'03 F-250 CC Fx4
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
No need for fibreglass unless it is to strengthen the enclosure or the joints. Poormanq45 was on the right path if he said don't use the fibreglass, just use the resin. If moisture is a concern, mix up some fibreglass resin in a can (not plastic container) and get out a paintbrush and paint the stuff on. This will seal the box from moisture. If it is a moisture concern (IE - you have a damp tunk all the time), resin the inside and outside of the box. While you are on the inside, throw a little glass matting in up against the seams to help strengthen that join, should cost you a whole $5.00 for some scraps of glass mat that can be cut into strips to go in.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I forgot to mention that. You can just use the resin/hardner.
Forbidden: Why did you say not to use a plastic container to mix the resin in?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Watch what happens to resin when you accidentally put too much hardener in it....... this is a chemical reaction that happens, a byproduct of this chemical reaction is smoke, where there is smoke, there is heat and in an extreme case, fire. Watch the plastic container start to melt. In a tin can, the excess resin once it has cured can be removed very easy and the can used again and again. So kids, do your resin mixing in a well ventilated area, use a respirator and so no Sony.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Poormanq45 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, I've been using a plastic container. Good thing I didn't use too much hardner.
Thanks for the advice
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

You should always at the very least seal the joints with a substance such as liquid nails. Resin works excellent for sealing the wood as said above, and in some cases can increase your SPL score (if you were a competitor).

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
haha you can use plastic, just be carefull, i use solo cups, haha, i melt them everytime, ohh well, they are cheap and i just mix up a small batch, use it fast, and then throw the cup away once it's hardend. you really shouldn't be putting that much hardner in the mix anyways
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
03sdccfx4 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys!  I am using liquid nails for the box construction.  I will then silicon all the interior joints.  I must wanted to make sure the box will not get water damaged.  It shouldn't anyways though as it is inside the cab of a fairly new truck.

How does the fiberglass resin increase SPL in competitions, by making the box more rigid?

Also what is the best way to carpet the enclosure and make it look good? The box is a wedge shape and it is 47.5" long and 15" tall, 8.5 at the bottom and 4.5 at the top.

'03 F-250 CC Fx4
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic