icon

Low Frequency Subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zuhare 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
i need to know what kind of subs and box do i need to get the lowest frequencys out of them. i already blew 2 cerwin-vega Vmax 800 watt DVC, in a vented box, put new kicker comp vr in same vented box but did not get the response i wanted i am thinking of Infinity perfects or kenwood excelon.
zuhare
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
1 Single Adire Tumult 18" on paper it looks like it should make you crap your pants at 20hz
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
the box didnt sound good cuz it wasnt built for the subs. you need to find the specs on your subs and have a ported box made and tuned to 40-50 htz, for low frequencies. its all about the box.
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
are you able to hear the subs at 20hz? Has anyone ever heard of anything crazy happening to someone from the high bass levels inside a car? Like deaths, fecal spills, heart attacks, ear drums being blown, etc.?
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Heard of all of the above.
But it all still occurs at extreme levels, 120dB and above.
Yes you can hear a 20Hz note, but it requires a tramendous amount of power to get an audible/useable sound from the sub.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
i have had girls puke, never a guy,,,,my buddy had diareah one day, , i cranked the system and made him poop his pants just as i dropped him off in his driveway haha ( i was nice and didn't do it before going out)
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
you made someone crap their pants?  GOOD LORD!  you must have one hell of a system in there forreal
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with what ss-installer said about the box being key, but I dont agree with the frequency. I would be tunning the box down far further, some where around the 28hz range. But thats a personal preferance. Also you should be using a subsonic filter when using a ported or vented enclosure, it helps protect the subs and helps prevent wasting power on frequencies that you cant use anyways.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
AJRXtreme wrote:
are you able to hear the subs at 20hz? Has anyone ever heard of anything crazy happening to someone from the high bass levels inside a car? Like deaths, fecal spills, heart attacks, ear drums being blown, etc.?
Poormanq45 wrote:
Heard of all of the above.
But it all still occurs at extreme levels, 120dB and above.
Yes you can hear a 20Hz note, but it requires a tramendous amount of power to get an audible/useable sound from the sub.
Alpine Guy wrote:
i have had girls puke, never a guy,,,,my buddy had diareah one day, , i cranked the system and made him poop his pants just as i dropped him off in his driveway haha ( i was nice and didn't do it before going out)
Urban legend, man... Episode 25 (Feb 16, 2005) of Mythbusters tried it... Proved scientifically it does not happen. Something like 153dB at frequencies between, like, 5Hz and 20Hz. I cannot remember the numbers exactly, but it has been debunked. Meyersound provided all of the gear, and it was televised, on a respectable network, called The Discovery Channel.
Hate to do that to ya, but there ya are...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Good read. Note that I just said that it requires an extreme amount of power to get a useable tone at sub-sonic frequencies
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic