icon

Damage my speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
glamisguy99 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I NEED to get some new speakers in the rear deck of my car, the factory ones are dead...no more rubber surround left, just a cone and a frame.  I have a concern though, the ports on my box fire upward into the rear deck almost where the speakers are located, and Im worried thats the main reason the factory ones fell apart, well that and they were 10 years old.  Anyway, is the pressure on the new ones something I should be concerned about?  I don't plan on spending much on them because theyre only rear speakers, but I want them to have a chance to last awhile.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Generally you do not want your rear speakers where the Sub is going to fire into them, or for that matter in the same enclosure as the sub (consider your trunk another enclosure for the subs.  Many times you will get an outphase from the subs and your rear speakers.  As far as the rear speakers moving too much...yes they will move quite a bit more if they are in the trunk along with the subs.  I recomend putting a baffle (or a separate enclosure behind them)
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

If you are gonna run a rear channel, then you need to enclose the speakers. Whether or not the subs are firing right at them, in general, the sound preassure created by the subs in the trunk, will reak havuck on the rear speakers.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
glamisguy99 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Are there some kind of "cups" or sometthing pre-fabbed I could get, or am I gonna have to go custom on this one?  I thought I saw something like this before but cant remember where.  BTW I'm looking at 6.5's back there.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

You could try these, I have never used them myself but, they might work.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZixhFWEP6Id/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=762&I=237XT65

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

Those little foam baffles from crutchfield do a great job of baffling the rear speakers from the air that the subs move in the trunk.  I've used them on mine since about two weeks after I got my subs.  For the price you can't beat em.  They still do not completely insulate those speakers from the interference caused by the subs.  To get an even greater degree of isolation from the trunk enclosure, build two small boxes out of mdf to seal those 6.5"s in.  Yet another option I've seen is using dynamat or something similar to fashion a baffle around those rear speakers.  I'm hoping that you've long since replaced your fronts with quality aftermarket parts, and you're not driving around with 10 year old factory speakers and missing hearing so much of your music that is drowned out by the subs in the back. 

just my $.02 ya know? 

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
draggindakota 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
I friend of mine got those baffles from crutchfiled and copied them in fiberglass. It was a quick easy way to have a solid enclosure.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
you could also use the simple idea we went with,     we used brown-bread insulation to go around the whole for the 6x9's in the rear,     mad sure it was somewhat lose for the depth of the speaker, and boom there was no bass coming from the trunk up to where the rear speakers are
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

I myself removed the 6X9 mounting plates from the rear of my Lumina Euro, built a set of adaptor plates out of 1/2" MDF then (using an old 6.5" that I had laying around), fiberglassed and actual enclosure for the rears. They sound much, much better.

Chris

Damage my speakers? - Last Post -- posted image.

Damage my speakers? - Last Post -- posted image.

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic