icon

Love stock sound?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with kfr, I have less than $400 rapped up in my sub system and would not go any other way. I purchased my MTX801D refurbished from an authorized dealer for $160 and a set of MTX MXS1004 10" subs from the same dealer for $90 for the pair. I built the box myself and woo hoo, nice clean bass at moderate levels. Just goes to show that you do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a system to get good sound. As a matter of fact I have less than a grand into my set up and not only by my ear but by others as well, it sounds worlds better than any stock system that I have ever heard.

Alpine CDA9833 $299 on sale at Crutchfield

Diamond Audio M661s 6.5" components on sale for $200 (last years model)

MTX Thunder 6000 components for rear fill $70 on sale (last years model)

Cadence Q400 4 channel amp $200

MTX 801D mono Amp $160 (refurbished)

2 MTX MXS1004 10" subs $90

Dual 10" Box for subs $50 total cost in materials

Best system I have had in years at half of the cost that I have spent on other systems I have built.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
got kinda off topic there right? anyways, the reason you like your factory sytem soo much is probably because they are matched well, the factory cd player puts out just enough power to properly go to the speakers, so if you get a system and match new speakers to it (i.e. get a cd player with about 26 rms output, or get a 4 channel, and then get speakers that will handle a little over that (just so you arent pushing them to hard, but don't get like 500 rms 6x9s) then you will love how it sounds,
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
skitzo315 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have any additional speakers or tweeters besides the 6x8s in the front doors and the 6x9s in the back. I have been in cars with aftermarket sound and it doesn't sound quite as good as my car. My sisters car has a JVC head unit and Alpine speakers in the front and it sounds like complete crap, no matter which speakers are there the bass is too much for the speakers, if I turn it down the bass is fine but then I get too much clear noise coming through. I do agree the im probably just picking a bad mix but im not just good at matching that stuff up. I know Pioneer is great for this but what specific head units are good for tuning? The following are the speakers I had my heart set on, can anyone suggest a good head unit to match them? Infinity Kappa or Pioneer
Lead, follow or get out of the way.
skitzo315 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Also, what the difference between 2-way, 3-way and 4-way speakers? Thanks again
Lead, follow or get out of the way.
klee1981 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

2 way is mid range + tweeter

3 way (triaxial) is mid range + larger tweeter? + small tweeter

so on, ect, et al.

I have cs5000 componantsin front with their tweeters, and 6x9 kappas in the back, on a hifonics zeus zx6400 (200.00 on ebay.) and I love it, but Ive blown all my cheap subs, and now am saving to upgrade.  With out subs it get way high, way clear, and way load with almost no bass (head unit crossover set to 70 hz highpass)  I cant say it enough I LOVE IT.  Man I have a sort of cheap Sony head unit, and eveyone says they suck, but I don't see it, I have had two of them and the first one started skipping when I was smoking.  this one never skips, and I think it sounds great, but I have no basis for comparison.  I dont know why, but my brothers stock 98 gt mach 460 sound system, is ok to me, but he wont trade it for anything, I have tried several times to upgrade his beats with my hand me down parts.

I had some mid grade pioneers in all my interiors once, but I have to say that titanium tweets sound like metal washing over you, i like the silk dome tweeters of the infinities, some people complain about the harshness of them, but I used the -3db setting on the tweeters, and its fine to me.  at least it sounds smooth and nothing like metal.  I dont know what mylar dome sounds like.

thats all I have for now.

Kevin

Sony CDX-f5700
Hifonics Zeus 170x4 zx6400
JBL BP1200.1
2 infinity Perfect 12" subs
1.70cft, 37hz
Infinity CS5000 Front 5.25" and Tweeters
Infinity Kappa 6x9" Rear Mids
Pioneer 4" rear tweeters
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

I was under the impression:

2 way: Woofer+Tweeter

3 way: Woofer+Midrange+Tweeter
4 way: Woofer+Midrange+Tweeter+Super Tweeter

And man, I wish I had a setup in my car that woulda kept me happy. I've since upgrades my HU(Twice), all 4 interiors which will be yanked for even better as the next stage of the project, subs and an amp which will then again be upgrade. So far, the HU is the only project that is done. Everything else is just getting me by. And that doesn't even include the energy it'll take to finish sound dampening this thing. *sigh* BTW, I'd advise, avoid this damn car at all costs with sound.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
klee1981 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Most righteous dude, I think you may be right.  My old pioneers where 3 way, and it just had the blue woofer cone, and two tweeters.  To me, a tweeter is a tweeter though.

Kevin

Sony CDX-f5700
Hifonics Zeus 170x4 zx6400
JBL BP1200.1
2 infinity Perfect 12" subs
1.70cft, 37hz
Infinity CS5000 Front 5.25" and Tweeters
Infinity Kappa 6x9" Rear Mids
Pioneer 4" rear tweeters
glamisguy99 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

I personally put a couple subs in the trunk with an amp wired to the stock HU with a line converter and it was nice to have some low end to back up the rest of the stock system.  A few weeks after that I added a Sony CDX-M630 (say it sucks if you want but I love it, and when I turn it off it blends in with my interior) and WOW, what a difference.  Im still sporting the 10 year old stock speakers for now, but I know when I do finally upgrade them I will definitly notice the difference and be VERY happy. 

I'd say the first thing to upgrade would be the HU (I know, I did subs first, but hey I got 'em cheap, and HONEST I wasnt going to add anything to this car!).  Actually before I added ANYTHING I would add an alarm if you don't already have one.  Its a bummer when you come out and find someone "borrowed" your HU.  Oh well, at least they didnt rip up or break anything getting it out, and didnt know about the subs in the trunk!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic