icon

pre-outs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ready247 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
What effect does a higher voltage pre-out have on sound and amp longevity?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

An excellent explanation:  http://www.bcae1.com/preoutv.htm

It has NO effect on amplifier longevity.

High voltage CAN help. 

Here's the best part from that page: "A piece of equipment that has a higher maximum output voltage is not necessarily going to sound better than one which is only capable of 2 volts output. The higher output will allow you to reduce the gains on your amp (or any down line signal processor) which will lower the noise floor of your system. If you are not having trouble with noise (alternator, hiss...), you may not benefit from the extra output voltage. You also need to realize that the voltage may be more than your amplifiers can handle. The extra voltage will not damage the amplifier but if the lowest sensitivity ( gain setting) on your amp is 2 volts, and you drive it with anything more than 2 volts, it will cause your amp to clip*. "  (emphasis and bold added) 

See Preamp Output Voltage, Bcae1.com, at http://www.bcae1.com/preoutv.htm 

Note, the clipping mentioned above won't hurt your amplifier, but might very well harm your speakers / subwoofer.  Anyway, the gist is that 2 volts are fine, don't base your entire decision on that one feature.  If you have the money for more voltage, go for it, but be sure your amplifier accepts more than 2 volts or you run the risk of frequently clipping.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Longevity?  None that I know of.  Sound?  Higher voltage outputs generally accomplish three things: First, the amplifier they feed will run at lower gain levels, and therefor be cleaner; Second, higher voltage signals are less likely to pick up noise than are lower voltage signals; and Third, higher voltage signals can be used over longer cable distances with less likelihood of noise or signal degredation.  There may be other effects, but these are the main ones.
Support the12volt.com
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, So, On the line of that question, The 801D mono amp that I am running a capable of a 8volt input. If I were to buy a decent line driver, would I benefit from running a higher voltage to it and matching the gains properly?

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

In my honest opinion, a line driver would not help you.  It's just one more component in your system which will add it's own noise (however slight), and amplify it as well.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

A line driver would be a good idea, a better one if you are open to ideas is a 8volt Eclipse headunit.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden,

I am always open to ideas but, I just purchased the 9833 a few months ago and I really love the unit and my budget will not compensate for a new head unit right now. Besides, my 4 channel will only accept up to 4v max input. I have been told by a few other people that the Thunder series Mono block amps run better with a higher voltage input but, I think the someone was trying to blow smole up my a**. Just wanted to clarify if there might be a possable benefit if I were to get 8 volts to the amp.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the smoke being blown up your ass is warrented. I have always found that the thunder series MTX amps are far happier with a high input signal being fed to the them. In my personal opinion I will never build another system that doesnt include a line driver of some kind, like the pheonix gold one or a processor like a audiocontrol 3.1
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
racer427 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Ravendarat,

I am gonna pickup a Audio control Line driver next week.

Should I feed it the full maximum 8 volts?

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
What about the impedance/resistance that the pre out has? Having a really high voltage level is great but if the resistance is too great won't that defeat the purpose?
Aside from having high volt pre outs, the original signal is the most importnat thing, if the begining signal is not clean all a high volt out put does is amplify the lousy signl. There are many aspects to this situation to consider.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic