icon

2 horns off same button, '05 Jeep Wrangler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
WzUpSon 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to run a novelty air horn from my steering wheel button but switch between that and the stock one with a hidden switch under the dash. Do these diagrams look correct, it seems relatively straight forward but I could be totally wrong. I appreciate any feedback.
-Moe
2 horns off same button, '05 Jeep Wrangler - Last Post -- posted image.
2 horns off same button, '05 Jeep Wrangler - Last Post -- posted image.
What's Up Son??
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Your diagram is wired correctly and will work as planned.

You don't necessarily have to have the toggle switch on the +12v constant power line. You could also change your diagram and put the toggle switch on the ground side and the relay would still work the same.  I only say this as a suggestion if it will simplify the actual wiring.  It would depend on where you mount the relay in relation to the constant power source and the toggle switch location.

Don

WzUpSon 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
I put an airhorn (Wolo Airmite 3) in my '05 Jeep Wrangler yesterday as per the manufacturer's instructions using the supplied 12V 40A relay...
Lead from the air horn's Negative to one of the body ground straps
Lead from terminal 85 on the relay to the stock horn's ground
Lead from terminal 86 on the relay to the stock horn's trigger
Lead from terminal 87 on the relay to the airhorn's Positive
Lead from terminal 30 on the relay to the battery via a 12ga lead with 20a inline fuse at the battery end
Everything worked just gravy for the whole day:
Stock horn worked fine and triggered the relay powering the airhorn using the steering wheel button
Viper alarm panic, door lock/unlock chirps, etc. sounded horn/airhorn
But things went awry when I was driving home and it started going nuts...
The relay is fried because it wasn't triggered and wouldn't turn off, I had to pull the fuse out at the battery end to turn it off.
Using a multimeter:
40 ohm's between terminal 85 & 86 (Unfortunately, I don't have a new 40A relay to test but a 30A reads 67 ohm's across 85 & 86)
0 ohm's between terminal 87 & 30. That's obviously not right....
Any thoughts?
-Moe
What's Up Son??
oneshot 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

Well Wzupson sounds to me like u fried that relay good, when ever i install a relay into a car for the horn/siren(when needed) i do it like this.

+12v to pin 86 on relay   Horn trigger to pin 85   out to siren/airhorn to pin 30   +12v to 87.

The reason there is no resistance between pins 30 and 87 is that when at rest 30 and 87a make contact not 30 and 87 as for the resistance across 85 and 86 that seems right for the coil. My guess as to why ur relay fried is that if u hooked it up as per ur first diagram, when ever that switch was closed(on) the relay was active, so what would happen is that ur 12v on 86 and the ground on 85 would be triggering the relay the whole time. Relays should only be active briefly, if they stay on too long they will heat up and fail. I have had this happen with a 2002 silverado when i put door lock actuators in....was not fun to have t rip that all out to figure it out. Good Luck ^^

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic