the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Using dual 10 DVC for midbass; thoughts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
invictuz 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  

I have four 10" DVC MTX T81044a in sealed enclosure powered by an Orion 2500d in my grand cherokee.

I have two pair of Infinity 6000cs components in each of the four doors running off a pair of RF 301s amps.

I have three more identical 10s still on box as well as two JVC 4550 amps.

I lack solid midbass.

Question:

Can a pair of the 10s under the two front seats (plenty of space once i rearrange some wires and seat frame) firing up running off the RFs (will use JVCs for infinitys) through an AudioControl 4xs produce good, accurate midbass?

i would like to use them since i already own them, however if this doesnt work then i am looking at squeezing four eights under the rear seat (after i remove the 4" metal lip found under the seat at the heels of passengers)

i really need some good midbass.

Using dual 10 DVC for midbass; thoughts? -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
The frequency response of most subwoofers is optimized for only the lower three octaves (20Hz to 160Hz.)  MTX lists frequency response for your woofers from 28Hz to 150Hz.  The "mid-bass" band is generally between 80Hz and 250 to 400Hz, so the response of your subs most likely will not give you what you want.  You could try them, but you really need a stereo set of woofers, not subwoofers.  Under-seat mounting is not a good idea for mid-bass, by the way, as it will sound very muddy and lack definition.  You want mid-bass drivers to face the listening area unobstructed.  Most common mounting locations include the doors or kick panels in the front of the vehicle.
Support the12volt.com
invictuz 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the reply...

What about this scenario:

Taking the two rear seat head rests; removing the cushioning and building a small enclosure to house four 8" subs facing the front...

the four 10" subs are in two dual compartment sealed enclosures that are both facing up and slightly to the rear of the jeep. These are elevated 7"s off the floor (amps and caps are mounted under the sub boxes...

is there any problem having the midbass so close to the subs?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
No problem with proximity to the subs.  I recomend you do not use 8" subs, however.  Get some dedicated mid-bass drivers.  One of the best I've heard lately is the Adire Extremis driver.  Other options include speakers from Scan Speak, Morel, Audax, JBL, etc.  Look for woofers or mid-woofers, not sub-woofers.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic