icon

Which Alarm should i get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psyon 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

The aftermarket alarm system on my car now is from '96 and is very old and starting to malfuntion... besides the technology is old.

TIME TO UPGRADE!

my dilemma:  the alarm i have now is one of those ridiculous siren ones (you know, with the constant-changing pattern that everyone has memorized the wails and patterns of....  Obviously security is a huge priority here, but the sound of the siren is a concern to me as well.  My local car audio shops each carry only one brand of car alarm (albeit two or three models of said brand), and they charge insane prices for crazy features like auto start, etc....  but they all have that stupid siren!  i want out of this siren....

I have tried searching this site (and the internet) for a site that is a comprehensive buyers' guide to car alarms, complete with different brands (not just all one brand), different descriptions, maybe sound clips of the alarms, SOMEthing....  i cannot find anything.  If anyone here could point me towards a site that talks about the different alarms and pros/cons of them.  something like CNET does for computers.  Or maybe you guys could just recommend one for me.

What i want:

1) small, aesthetically pleasing remotes

2) obvious lock/unlock function

3) hood/trunk switch (as well as all doors switch)

4) glass break & motion

5) immobilizer/ignition disable/code hopping/other security features

6) unique/upscale arm/disarm beep and siren

a remote start would be nice but not required.  a key thing for me is the siren, AND the beep and beep beep for arming and disarming sound.  I had a lexus several years ago that had a nice-sounding factory alarm, and my BMW i had before that also had an elegant sounding alarm.  i had a car in the mid '90's that had an old Alpine alarm system on it (the old small-grey remotes), and it had an elegant chirp to it.  Does alpine still make alarms?  are they still nice?  From all the research i've done, it seems DEI has taken over every dang alarm company, and spread their parts across all lines....  :(

Anyone know of an alarm that sounds remotely similar to these upscale cars?  something that is classy, not full of features like a color LCD remote (why would i need that?)   Stuff like valet mode and silent mode (switchable from the remote) are a MUST.

please help!

Many Thanks!!

Loving Car Audio since 1992
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

i want to add that first and foremost an effective security system is desired... the alarm sound is just the icing for me.  Surely there must be a good car alarm out there without that same siren though, right?

and of course something better than the "beep"/"beep beep" for arm/disarm

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
What does the sound matter? Regardless almost every (quality) car alarm on the market is made or marketed by DEI. I have a Clarion UNGO SR5000 (RS, pager the works) I love it. It is made by DEI and has the same old siren though. You could get another siren or get the voice module I guess. "Viper Armed"
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
What does the sound matter? Regardless almost every (quality) car alarm on the market is made or marketed by DEI. I have a Clarion UNGO SR5000 (RS, pager the works) I love it. It is made by DEI and has the same old siren though. You could get another siren or get the voice module I guess. "Viper Armed"

to me the sound matters because i don't my audi sounding like my old civic.  The 6-tone sirens are just obnoxious.... not that i expect a lot of false positives, but it does go off sometimes.  The 6-tone is just flat-out annoying.  I park my car on the street, so it does go off sometimes.  I just want a siren that sounds more upscale.  Pretty much any alarm that has a soft-chirp for arm/disarm and a non-6-tone siren will work for me.  But every alarm i find doesn't seem to have those features that my old alpine had.  at this point getting  a used alpine on ebay looks like the best option.  does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes soft chirp and a non-6-tone siren on a GOOD alarm?

Thanks for taking the time!

specialauto 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
How about the Audiovox Perstige? APS996...
Canadian Auto Sound
Starting Installer
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
What about a g5 clifford and you can customise tyhe siren between 15 different sounds with the wizzard (not too expensive) it comes std with 6-tones but you can deleta and add tones
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you want a Clifford G5 product... you can tailor the siren output to your own tastes.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=specialauto]How about the Audiovox Perstige? APS996... [/QUOTE

thanks for the suggestion.  i checked everywhere and it didn't say anything about the siren.... is it adjustable?  or just not the 6-tone?

and everyone else - thanks for the Clifford G-5 suggestion!  that looks like a top-notch alarm, although a little pricey.  Does anyone know if the other lesser (cheaper) cliffords have the same feature? 

also i did a search on here and found people talking about possibly buying the toyota or lexus factory alarm (someone said it was a piezo horn?) and hooking that up to their aftermarket alarm instead of the 6-tone siren.  will this work?  can i just get a piezo siren from toyota or lexus and hook it up to whatever car alarm i get for the desired result?

if not i'll just run with the G-5!

thanks to everyone for taking the time!

psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

Everywhere i do a search for online is for a UK site.... has it not been released over here or is it a UK-spec alarm system?  everyone seems to recommend it for my needs yet i can't find it anywhere.

all your help is appreciated!

gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
you can delete sounds by opening up the siren getting into the circuit board and tailoring wich sounds you like. ive done it to the dei sirens and the psyco sirens from omega research, excalibur and k-9.
gcorrea
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic