icon

RS identification, 2001 cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
19cherokee92 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

looking for some basic help in troubleshooting the RS on a 2001 cherokee. I did some searching and found some helpful diagrams for wiring but first off I need to identify what brand of RS is on this car. my wife bought the 2001 cherokee from a jaguar dealer and when she went to drive off the lot the salesman hit the OEM remote to unlock the door and the car started... so he says "wow, it has remote start too!" so, she drove it home.

it has worked fine for 6 months or so but the drivers side door unlock was acting up and not working all of the time and I noticed wire pack boot was off and the orange wire going out to the drivers door had a cut in the insulation. I fixed the wire and even since the RS has changed. it used to start when unlock or lock was pressed twice (either manually on the controls on the dorr or with the remote) and now it starts the car with only one push of the unlock or lock button. this makes me believe the RS system was reprogrammed or has gone back to the default mode? I would like to fix it or reprogramm the RS

problem is I have no idea what type of system is on this car or the manufacturer of the RS system?

looking for some help in identifying the RS system. it uses the OEM keyless entry. RS turns the car off when the brake is pressed before key is inserted in the ignition. no sensors on the hood.

thanks for any help

steve

davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Well, first off take the dash skirting off below the steering column.  The remote start should be tied into the ignition wires coming off the steering column.  Follow these wires to the remote start box, or module.  If installed correctly, it will either be zip tied to a loom of wires or screwed to the firewall.   Take the module out and hopefully it will say what brand of remote start it is.

Just a suggestion, I would have another remote start installed, like an all in one unit.  This type is an all-in-one type unit, with keyless/remote start and even alarm combo in one unit.  This is a more stable system than using the factory keyless to operate a aftermarket RS.  Also, you will have FAR better range with the remote, and no silly hitting the lock button 2 or 3 times to remote start the vehicle.  If you have any knowledge with wires, you should be able to install it.  Far better unit.

Good luck.

davedyer79
19cherokee92 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  

excellent! thanks for the help. I pulled the unit just now. it says Code Alarm Sure Start on the outside of the brain and has S-34 LBL1154 on a label next to the diagram on the back. 2 relays and 4 fuses were all wired together in the system as well. I plan to just disable/remove the RS for now until I deciede on another unit. Safe to just pull the brain out? The car seems to work as usual after I pulled the brain but I am wondering if I should pull the fuses, relays and the entire wiring system or not? will these items be useful in installation of another/better system?

thanks again for the help

davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

It would probably be best to pull all the wires out if you have time.  If they are soldered to the vehicles wires, just cut as close as you can and be sure to black tape very well and tight.  As far as using the existing relays and fuses.  Those are basic install components for alarms, as well as anything else aftermarket going into factory.  I would keep the relays handy in case you ever needed them for anything else, but most shops include these pieces in the price of the install.

If you are going to get another remote start, be sure to shop around and get the features you want.  Each brand has pro's and con's, just stick to the units that have proven themselves.  DEI, clifford, autopage, crimestopper, just some off the top of my head that are good units with great expandibility.  Good luck on the now venture, and let us know how it turns out.

davedyer79

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic