icon

AVIC-N2 Parking Brake Error on Startup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jankowski 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought an AVIC-N2 and intstalled it in My Geo Metro (yes it may be worth more then the car) and connected the green brake wire detection wire to teh parking brake switch.  However, my parking brake wire is a single wire that is grounded to the chassis at the parking brake handle when it is activated.

I have searched the forums before, but could only find mention of the error, not a solution, so let me explain the error:

When I turn the unit on, there is a screen that says the the parking break wire is not connected properly.  As a result, I have to press the ESC button that comes on the screen.  At this point, I can select the source from the menu. ed proper'k I have not tried to put a DVD or Music CD in the drive yet.

My questions follow:

What is the purpose of this wire?  Does it send a (+) signal to the unit when the brake light goes on? 

How or why does the unit think it is not connected properly?

How can I remove this error message, I am not trying to bypass the DVD while driving feature?

Thank you for your help, please feel free to e-mail me or post the answers to my questions.

-Joseph Jankowski

310-994-2142

Joseph Jankowski, S.M.
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hook your parking break up the right way and it will go away. If you are not trying to bypass the DVD lockout you do not need to ground the parking break, which BTW does not work on the AVIC-N2. Hopefully this answered your question. If not please let me know and I will try and expand on my answer for you.
jankowski 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

12v_rep:  Thank you for the reply, howevre, since there is only one wire to the parking brake swicth, when the swicth makes contact, the wire lead goes to ground.  Would I be better to hook the green wire to the (+) lead ont he brake light bulb in the dash?  I guess with only one wire I do not understand how it could be hooked up incorrectly.  Please elaborateon this if you could.

Thank you

Joseph

Joseph Jankowski, S.M.
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Well typically the parking break wire sits on an open switch, and when you engage it, it then rests on ground. Like on my N2 I had it grounded so I could use the navi functions while I was stopped. Everytime I started my car I got that same error message. One day I got sick of seeing the message and I unhooked the grounded brake wire. Now I do not get the error message, but I can't use my navi functions either. So what I am going to do is hook my brake wire up to a switch rather than the brake wire itself. By doing that I avoid the message everytime I start the car and when I need it to see a ground to use the navi I can flip the switch. That may be the sollution you need as well. But please do not read this and think I am saying it will allow you to use navi while driving or watch a DVD while driving. Unfortunately to use the navigation functions at all it has to see a ground signal. Does this help at all?
jankowski 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, thank you, I will try that when I get home tonight.

-Joe

Joseph Jankowski, S.M.
organiz3d_chaos 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
when you first hook it up... it will tell you its wrong... just has to calibrate.... its in your manual ;) under trouble shooting :)
organiz3d_chaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
when you first hook it up... it will tell you its wrong... just has to calibrate.... its in your manual ;) under trouble shooting :)
organiz3d_chaos 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
NateDoggnp 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
organiz3d_chaos is correct, it will go away once the vehicle dynamics have been programed and are functioning...i guess at least 2 of us have actually installed one of these and read the manual... ;-)
whiteblazer01 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  

I was told (by my pioneer rep), when the parking wire is connected to the e-brake, in order to properly engage it, you must activate the parking brake, release it, then re-activate it.  This should allow you to watch dvd's and use the full navi when parked.  As far as bypassing this, I can only assume that a toggle switch must be used when grounding the parking brake wire.  Hope this helps!

Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic