icon

my amp blew both fuses!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
demond96 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2002 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

my amp blew both fuses! -- posted image.Hi everyone I've been receiving some good advice from you guys here on 12volt. So here I am again with a new problem. I have three dvc Digital Audio 4ohm 12" subs, wired in parallel(+ terminals to +terminals, -terminals to -terminals). My amp is a Visonik v2408 (600watts). The installation guide that came with the amp says that it is set up to operate on a minimum load impedance of 2ohms  stereo, and 4ohms mono(bridged), or 8ohms in tri mode. the way I had this wired I guess that was a parallel wiring configuration, it played like this for a while until I removed the Xover and it played louder in my opinion so i left it that way. Now today when I tried to shake residential windows, playing "rep yo city" by E40 when the low end bass hit both my fuses blew. My fuses are 20 amp fuses. I could simply replace the fuses but that would not solve the problem. I could replace them with 25 or 30 amp fuses but I'm scared of what might happen. What should I do, Help me please.

jthom999 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2002 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
which fuses blew? if it was the fuses in your amp, I wouldn't increase them, but if it was fuses on a distribution block you could match the current on those with the fuses on  your amps.
demond96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! -- posted image.The ones that blew were on the amp, both were 20 amp fuses. As soon as they blew the amp shut down. What would cause this to happen and how could I correct it without changing my wireing configuration.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

Demond...Make sure you don't have a Shorted out Sub, causing a massive load....

Make sure all your connections are good and solid...

no matter what...DO NOT INCREASE THOSE FUSES!!!!  You could Fry your amp

It sounds like you have a sub shorted...

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
demond96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! -- posted image.O.k! I check the subs, replaced the fuses and jacked up the volume. After about 5mins, every thing seemed fine. So maybe it was a sub short. And maybe the problem is solved, if not I'll need more advice. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Also in the future you may wanna check your sub tensils,on my a/d/s/ rs.2 one of the tensils touched the back of the aluminum cone,my amp went into "protection" big time !,the lead fused itself to the back of the cone ! so they gave me a new sub,actually the one that got nuked was a 10" so i got a 12",looser bass but i love it anyway,my 10'' was tight like @#^%&...you know.
Dan M C
demond96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! -- posted image.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting response..is it custom
Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
demond96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
my amp blew both fuses! -- posted image.A custom install job by a qualified installer. If thats what your asking. No it was not installed by a qualified installer. I installed this through time, trial and error. I had this in my explorer for about 2 years and never had this problem. I took all the precautions I know of and used new wires, fuses, distrubution blocks, head unit, subs, door speakers, and amps. Over time I came across these things at reasonable prices. So who can tell me what is going. Its driving me crazy. 
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

disconnect the wires from the amp and put a meter on it and check the ohms the speakers are showing.  Hope its not less than 2.

Next....check your ground!    actually pull it off the vehical and clean it and do the same on the amp side.

Check that the speaker wire does not have a hanger.  no loose copper strands anywhere!

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic