icon

sub suck in and make noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontmakemeill12 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 JL 10w6 subs hooked up to a rockford fosgate amp Punch 501S, 250x2 @ 2 ohms. I ran them for about a year. Now the subs are distorted and suck in instead of pushing out. Any one had this problem before? Thanks
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Did you rescently fiddle with any of the wiring?? I mean did you do ANYTHING?? Like maybe you were cleaning the trunk out and accidentally disconnected a wire from the subs and hooked it back up??
Paul
dontmakemeill12 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
This started happening about 6 months ago or more. First it was the right sub then the about 3 months later the left. The amp and sub are under the back seat in my truck, not very accessible so i do not beleive anything has changed Looking at the amp and subs the wires look like they are correct postive to postive negative to negative. Any other suggestions?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

First thing you need to do is make it accessible and get it all out in the open so you can see what's going on.  You've had it for a year, but for half that time one of the subs has been acting up, and for a quarter of that time both subs are sounding bad.  That doesn't leave a whole lotta time for good clean sound, being just the first six months.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not quite sure what your problem IS here.  Speakers "suck in" and "push out" and that is how they create sound.  What exactly is different and what do you think is wrong?
Support the12volt.com
dontmakemeill12 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart-
I first had the system hooked up on top of my back seat for around a year in a standard box for the 2 10'' JL's, and they worked fine. I then put them in a truck box that goes under the seat to get them off of my rear seat. They worked for about 6 months and one went bad, then about 3 months later the other. I disconnected the power to the amp for the a few months back and left them like that until now.
DYohn-
The speaker instead of punching out when the bass hits they punch in real far. It is exactly backward of their normal operation. And during their opperation make a sound that is very distorted, like it raddles.
Im not sure of the problem. Could it be the amp? Is there a test I can perform?
Or are the speakers blown? Is 250watts to each speaker @ 2 ohms, to a JL w6 too little power that would make this occur?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

So far we know this much:  the JL W6 is a DVC 6 ohm sub.  Are each of the two subs wired parallel to 3 ohms? ...and connected one to a channel?  Or are they combined together in the box and bridged at the amp? 

And is the truck box ported?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Is their enough clearance between the sub and the bottom of the seat?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
... and, since you simply put the speakers into another "box" is it the correct size for the speakers?  Sounds to me like you have blown your woofers or your amp.
Support the12volt.com
boricuaso 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

quick question!

do you get any music out of the sub at all?

if NO,

when you power the system up! thoes the sub cone pull in and stay there making a buzzing sound? yes!  there is a good possibility that your amp has gone bad and is sending dc current onto your subs. most likely it over heated to the point where the mosfets on one side are continualy open and sending a negative voltage signal to your subs.

if YES,

so your playing your music and after a few minutes or so the sub start pulling in and making a buzzying noice? if yes! again there is a possibility that  your amp might be over heating and not shuting down for some reason.

i hope this helps. oh i could be wrong.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic