icon

Space needed behind magnet.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

I am planning to build a ported box under the back seat in my truck. I wanted to fire the speaker forward but it is just to big so I will have to point it up towards the seat. What I am wondering is how much space is needed behind the magnet. I realize that more space will allow the subwoofer to cool better, but is there a rule for minimum? The subwoofer I have is an Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ12.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

We usually recommend at leat 3/4".

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

I have to agree with Steven, at least 3/4" to 1" allowance behind the magnet to allow the proper air movement out of the pole piece for proper cooling of the voice coil.

There is an acception for a woofer that use's side venting though, like the MTX MXA woofers that I am using, they vent from the side of the basket and there is no pole vent and I am sure that there are other woofers that use this type of venting.

the VQ that you are using though, will move alot of air through the pole piece.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  

Get some 10"s, i think its almost impossible to build a box for 12"s (if they're not shallow)i have an o2 silverado and be careful if you build one that fires into the seat. i built my last one like that and now that speaker is gone cuz it was firing into the fabric of the seat and it tore my surround. so either raise the seat or get some beafy grilles thatll take the weight of someone sitting on it

blah blah blah blah

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic