icon

Some crazy ish happened tonite.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

Well my amp(kenwood ecxelon x811d) had been overheating lately , which i thought happened because i never redid everything from my last setup. It was hooked up to an 8g  power from a  4g distro and the ground was 8 and grounded to the a bolt. so i finally ran 4g straight to the amp, and grounded it with 4g in a new spot in the floorboard which i scraped to bare metal, and screwed it down with a copper ring terminal. and i also put in a new gm side battery terminal extender. well i cranked up my truck,(02 silverado) and i was getting more voltage to my amp, but then the voltage started to fluctuate between 14.0 to 14.6 volts in a solid rythmic pattern. The voltage change was audible in the engine. well i held the gas down @ bout 2000 rpm for about a minute and it stopped. everything has been fine sense, BUT my amp is still overheating! maybe cuz my subs are wired up for a nominal resitance of 1 ohm, but why was my truck doin that and why is my amp overheatiing?

blah blah blah blah
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe because that amp is 2ohm stable and you are running it at 1 ohm.  That amp will not last long at the rate you are running it
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

You have an amp that is only stable to 2ohms wired up @ 1ohm. That is why it is over heating.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
actually the amp is 1 ohm stable
blah blah blah blah
MikesMarine 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
yes it is
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
Where is the amp? If it's under the seat it is not getting air to cool it. try a fan.
Big Dave
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
yea its under the middle of my seat, but it has a built in fan and there isnt anything less then 3" from the top of it, and there is about 6" of room above the fan. But illl check the back of it cuz there might be something blocking a duct on it, what about raising it off the carpet a little? will that help? Does anybody kno why my truck was doing that though?
blah blah blah blah
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

yes get up off the carpet, but use a fan to blow cool air on it. even with a built in fan it is still warm under the seat. better still is move the amp out in the open air.

Big Dave
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

You also more than likely have a bad ground. New GM pickup + short ground wire + amp running at 1 ohm = recipe for disaster. A high ground return resistance manifests itself in many ways, one of these ways is excessive heat builup. The lower the impedence the amp is run at, the worse the problem becomes. Read my grounding sticky, it applies to you. Failure to do so is going to lead to an amplifier failure for no apparrent reason.... unless you read the thread and apply the knowledge that you gain from it.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
the set up was okay with a 8ga.power & 8ga.ground you might want to recheck your ground to the truck.if you have your amp under the seat then you need 2 fans one to blow air and one to pull the hot air out.It would be much better if you had your amp in the open.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic