Infinity Perfect, underwhelming ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
some of the perfects do. They are the perfect VQ's
Hmmm...isn't the high pass filter on the subwoofer like the subsonic filter. Lets the frequencies above that through without dropping them off??? That may be your probem. Se that to like 15 to 20 Hz...
I had a perfect (a DVC perfect, but a perfect none the less), and it pounded like mad too....too bad I blew it...
-Drew
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
From what i read in your description of your settings on your deck you have the pre outs set to "rear speakers" which would mean they are crossed over at high pass with the rest of your speakers giving you the responce you are saying you have.  set the rear pre outs to subwoofer, and crossover at 80 hz and see how it goes.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
jdog0411 wrote:
racer427 wrote:

First off, you need to get the gains set correctly.

Second, are you using and external crossover or does the headunit have a built in crossover?

Third, what are your pre out's rated at voltage wise?

Chris

Hey Chris, I was hoping you would chime in........I finished the install late tonight, so I didn't have much chance to get the gain set on the amp. i will try to do that properly in the morning. The headunit has a high pass filter setting, that I have set to 125 hz, and it also has a "S/W" setting (which I assume is the low pass filter) that I have set to 80hz. The amp also has a continuously variable crossover. It is not graduated, so I don't know exactly what it is set to. Not sure which of the two I should use, I assume I shouldn't be using both.

According to the head unit manual, the pre-out max voltage output level is 2.2 volts.

You shouldn't have both crossovers in your head unit set at different frequencys. RIght now it sounds like you have a gap between 125 hz and 80 hz. Set both the low pass and high pass on your head unit to 80 hz. If you use the crossovers built into the head unit you should leave the amps crossover on full range or at the highest frequency setting.

Next you need to set the gain correctly. First off definitely don't just leave it at the "factory setting." Since your head unit's pre out voltage is pretty low you will probboly have to have the gain set pretty high. If you have a subwoofer volume control built into your deck, put it near maximum when setting the amp's gain. Do a search for setting gain on here and you will find many posts about it.

Do what Alpine guy said above also... it sounds like the problem.

MoneyPit 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

jdog0411 wrote:
There are two settings, "rear speakers" which can be full or subwoofer" and "preout" which can be full or subwoofer. I have the rear speaker setting to full because that channel is my rear door speakers, and the pre-out to subwoofer.

Nope

jdog0411 wrote:
The headunit has a high pass filter setting, that I have set to 125 hz, and it also has a "S/W" setting (which I assume is the low pass filter) that I have set to 80hz.

Would like to find out exactly what the 'S/W' really is. If it's the low pass filter, I would set it up higher, like 150hz or more and let the amp do the filtering.

Bill
System in progress:
2 Kicker KX400.1's - 945w RMS
2 12" P3's in a ported box built by local shop
1 Kicker KX250.2 to drive the mids and highs
1 set Alpine SPR-136A for mids & highs
nitto7 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
hello, I have the save h/u and I was woundering if you might have the  rca to the amp plugged into the wrong pre-out, since there is front, rear and sub.   this might be the reason why there isnt a strong signal going from the head unit...  the one you should be using is the one that has s/w scribed into the metal beside it.  hope it helps.
Restored '79 Firebird
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestion, I have the pre-outs going to the right place on the deck. I messed with the gain and the other amp settings today, and I am getting a lot more output from the sub. It's still not quite as loud and powerful as I had hoped, but I think in order to get that I am going to have to either port the box, or get a 2 ohm sub to get more power from the amp. For a SQ setup, I think it sounds pretty good. There is thump but it is very tight, which is what I wanted from the box. I may consider porting the box to get a little more boom out of it just for fun.
2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
You will need to build another box for a ported application. It would not be wise to simply port the existing box as the internal volume requirments based on a ported box will be different. It will more than likely require a larger enclosure. Save the sealed box!
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
if you're worried about not having enough power; wouldn't the ported box be a rather unwise choice due to the lower efficiency of ported boxes?  Am I mistaken? don't ported boxes generally require more power than sealed?
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Nope ported boxes are generally more efficent and are a better choice for someone who is underpowering a driver
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I stand corrected; thanks for straightening me out
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic