icon

1968 Dodge Charger, starter interupt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crzyc68 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1968 Dodge Charger that I had a Clifford Bullet 4 alarm installed in.  I have not had any problems untill recently.  I was driving the car then everything shut off.  I was lucky to get to the side of the road.  I couldn't get it started again.  Switched coils and it worked for a little bit.  Now it won't start at all.  Does the starter interupt feature cause this to happen.  I was going to bypass the alarm system to see if it is the alarm wiring that is causing my car to not start.  I have checked everything else that I can think of.  I was looking at the wiring diagram and know where the alarm system is wired into the ignition wiring.  Can I just disconnect the wiring from the start circuit and bypass it just temporarily or is there another way?  Also, is there a way to check if this is even the problem.  I know some of the people have got to be car people.  I have checked spark, have fuel, new ignition box, new coil.  I have to find out how to check the distributor, but was thinking that maybe the alarm might have something to do with it since the car was running and cut out.  I don't know if there is some kind of reset feature with the alarm that disables the starter from starting the car again.  Thanks in advance.  Sorry for the lengthy message.  Wanted to make sure I included all the info so it will hopefully make it easier for you to help me.
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
the alarm kill relay only interupts voltage to the starter, so the starter wouldnt even crank over.
gcorrea
crzyc68 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  That rules out the alarm.  Thank you very much for the quick response.  I really appreciate it.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

<<<  I was driving the car then everything shut off. >>>

What does that mean?  Would it crank?  No Lights? etc.?

If that means EVERYTHING, then I would want to look at the Battery connection or the Main Power Junction block.....Either at Starter Solinoid or Fuse Panel Input.

If it still cranked & U had other Accessories & just the engine died, then I would look into Ignition or Fuel related problems like Resistor Block, Coil overheating, Fuel percolating, etc.
Starter Interupt is what it means:
Starter will not engage when Alarm is Armed or Triggered.
Do U have Ignition Kill also?

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
crzyc68 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
I might have worded it incorrectly.  The engine cut out.  When I went to start it again, it would fire, but not continue to run.  This is what it is doing now.  I have fuel and spark.  I think it might have something to do with the ignition switch.  I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities as I go through the troubleshooting.  I do have accessories and all other electrical uses.  Just when I go to start the car, it will fire, but not catch and continue to run.
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ballast resistor, maybe?
Tacomacrew
crzyc68 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Don't have one.  I am using an MSD ignition box and they don't use the ballast resistors.
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Check Distributor.........Check Timing............
Does it POP thru Carb or Exhaust when it does start or try to run?...........
Or when it does Run, does it act like it is running out of Gas?
P.S...........Just for grins, smell your oil & see if it smells like gas..........
I had a 70 Charger & the Fuel pump took a dump internally.  Car would start and die, but there was fuel in the carb.  Finally I forced it to stay running and ......."BLAM"....... the engine caught on fire inside.  Seems the fuel was pumping into the oil via the Fuel Pump
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
crzyc68 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have an electric fuel pump mounted at the rear of the car near the fuel cell.  Could what happened to your charger happen with an electric fuel pump?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic