best speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Soundbombing 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
hi
just got a new car, citroen saxo, i got a head unit given to me from a good friend, it's got 4x50w outputs. what speakers should i buy for the front? im going to put them in the doors, my budget is 70 quid. any recommendations?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
um, I guess I am ignorant but what they hell is a quid. As far as running speakers off of deck power I would look at pioneer, low end alpine, the panasonic stuff isnt bad, MTX makes some nice speakers now and low level Boston are all good choices. The best thing to do is go and listen to various speakers at a local dealer. One thing to keep in mind though is that since ever dealer has different setups as far as demo boards and what not goes, I usually recomend picking one dealer that you are comfortable with and selecting from one of their lines. If you drive all over town and listen to 37 different sets of speakers two things are gonna happen, you are going to start to just blend everything together and generally speaking you will percieve whatever speakers you listened to last or at least close to the end as being the best sounding so its not a great Idea. But like I said, listen to speakers for yourself and chose that way, its the only way to ensure that you will get something that sounds good TO YOU.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Soundbombing 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the advice, i will go to some shops this weekend, maybe take some music with me to audition.
can you also give me some advice about what size speakers to get. im very new to car audio you see.
another thing i dont get, if i have 4x50w from my head unit
should i get speakers that can input a maximum of 50 RMS? please explain this concept of RMS and maximum power. it confuses me a little
{i dont have the english pound sign on my keyboard, so i just say quid (slang)}
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Basically, any normal 2 way or 3 way speaker you get work okay with just the power from your head unit. Most are between like 40 and 100 watts rms, and will work fine off of your 50x4 amp in your HU. Most, however, will sound better if you hook them up to an external amp.
Component Speakers are a different story. If you decide to buy some components, you'll definitely want an external amp for them.
NicP 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Remember that you headunit is outputting 4x50w PEAK not RMS, basically RMS is the continuous power an amplifier can put out, PEAK is the amount of power an amplifier can put out for a very short period of time. Its a bit more complicated than this but i thought i would explain it simply. Pay very little attention to PEAK ratings, they are very easy for manufactures to exaggerate, what you should be intrested in is RMS ratings, your headunit is probably about 4x20wRMS
Soundbombing 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
ahh now i get it..i just looked at my manual it says 50w maximum power output.
ohh man im been researching this for a while, i cant decide what kind of setup i want. this car audio stuff isnt easy. im going to instal some speakers anyway, il pick find something im sure.
once i get to upgrading im sure you will hear form me again. lol
Soundbombing 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
thank god for the internet
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Dynaudio = orgasmic speaker. Nakamichi components would be hot too. (SPS6500)
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
Soundbombing wrote:
{i dont have the english pound sign on my keyboard, so i just say quid (slang)}
At the risk of sounding likeiknoitallandudont, press the alt key, hold it, and type 0163. This will give you the British pound sign... {Alt+0163}
Or, click start>programs>accessories>system tools>character map, and copy and paste any character desired from there... at the bottom right, there is the {Alt+nnnn} keystroke combination for any of the desired charaters! (if available)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
heh I haven't seen uthinkuknow in awhile.
I think 70 quid is like 120 dollars. Heh Soundbombing u drive on the right side of ur car huh?
Anywho, yea if you're only going for low-end stuff and headunit power, its gonna be hard to screw up real bad in that price range...When you ask for speaker recommendations ppl online love it and start spouting off all thier favorite speakers.. but at that price point you'll prolly be no happier with one speaker over another..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic