icon

inside of box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ChrisZ3 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
When a box is wrapped in fleece and soaked with resin, how do you apply fg mats inside the box to strengthen. Do you cut out the back wall for easy access and then reclose it after ? With some curves its difficult, impossible to access from the outside.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
You could cut a section out of the back of the fiberglass. I however would not recommend it. My question why cant you apply it to the outside of the box?
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
ChrisZ3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Now i had a smooth surface on the outside with only the fleece wich require a minimum of bondo and sanding for a perfect finish. The back of the enclosure is of mdf. Can i cut a hole and reclose it after. How do i reclose it?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Don't cut the MDF that stuff will never look right again. Just cut out the hole for the speaker. You gotta do it anyway.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ChrisZ3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Not so easy to apply mat on the inside just using the speaker hole. Can't get everywhere. It's not possible to reclose the backside with resin?
boricuaso 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
you can cut the hole or square it just more work and more money, try cutting from about 2" from the walls, make the cleanest cut you can, then do what you had to do to the front of the box, then what i would do is grab a piece of mdf 1" bigger in w and h  or bigger .than the hole you cut out, have some one hold it in front of the hole and against it, and then the other person traces the hole cut out from the inside of the box if possible, to get the best possible fit of the cut out, then grab some gorilla glue and glue the panel in place " gorilla glue expands and seals", ones it dries clean up the excess and fiber glass that full wall for an even front if it maters. and your done.
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
boricuaso is correct, you can cut a hole in the back to FB from the back.  This is how alot of people do it when applying cabosil/aerosil.  I have never used Gorilla Glue before.  I just mark my hole, find the thinest skill saw blade and cut away.  I use the same piece I cut out and put a good dose of liquid nails in the seams.  Once it is dried I put one layer of FB cloth around the seams on the outside and instide (if possible).  Have beed doing it for years like this and have never had a problem.  I have even hear some people use Durimix, not sure what grade though.  Good luck.
davedyer79
ChrisZ3 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
ok, thnx. Thats what i wanted to hearinside of box -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic