icon

Warranty void due to installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiteblazer01 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I have noticed a lot of confusion lately as far as warranty issues and aftermarket components.  I am familiar with the magnusson Moss act, but thats assuming the products were installed correctly.  I am hearing that T-Taps are the only way to do an install and keep the warranty, whereas soldering will void it.  Then I am hearing the opposite.  So what is the exact deal with electrical connections and warranty?  Lets use an alarm for example.  Should T-Taps be used or solder?

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Most companies offer a more limited warrenty if not installed professionally. Generally the warrenty will read that if something happens to the product and that is caused by the installation, then it doesnt matter what kinda conection you use, you ****ed up and voided warrenty. Lets not forget that warrenty covers products to be free from MANUFACTURE defects. To anyone with a sub woofer, keep in mind that if you blow a sub due to running double the RMS power to it, then thye can refuse warrenty because you abused the product and it wasnt the products fault that it failed because ou tried to use it for more than what the manufacture intended. Now if you snap a tinsel lead due to them being to short or the dust cover comes off the sub because the glue lets go than thats a manufactures defect. In the case of an alarm, if you mess up when you put it in and short out the unit then thats your problem, the product didnt fail because of a manufacture **** up. But if after 3 months a relay locks up inside or mabye the alarm no longer senses the door trigger, than thats a defect that is covered by the manufacture. No aftermarket equipment manufacture I know of says that you MUST make your connections a certain way to keep your warrenty. On that note though, if I had it my way all t-taps would be melted into a huge colorful ball and hurled at the sun never to be seen from again
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Uniqueauto 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I assume your talking about the auto manufacture warrenty? If you have a problem with a portion of the car and something was installed aftermarket that caused the problem, then your warrenty for that particular part is voided. They have to prove that the aftermarket device caused the problem before they start voiding things. Soldering connections is the best way to go! 

Installer/Owner
Double check twice Install once!
Wires are my Best Friends
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
So you guys mean to tell me, when installing an alarm and the wire you need is buried up under the dash in a a bundle of other wires, that you can get up under there with both hands, a soldering gun and solder to make the connection. I sure as hell know that in some of those vehicles that would be quite impossible. I really heavily on my precious T-taps!!!
Jazzy
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
bob is right; I have yet to run into a situation under a dash where a wire is totally inaccessible for soldering.  I have had to trace wires from under the dash to the kick panel or under the hood to find a clear place to solder, but there is always a way.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic