icon

Clifford Wireless Immobiliser Anomoly - FYI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
franksm 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

Have a Clifford wireless immobiliser fitted to my Avantguard5 in my Miata. The sender is under the dash, the receiver is on the fuel pump in the rear of the car. Nice strong signal received there and the wiring is soldered and very strong. No dust or water or anything around the receiver. Has been working fine for the past couple of months since the install, totally inconspicuous.

This afternoon, the car failed to start (after sitting for a couple of hours) - turned over okay, and started up but died after a second or two. Kept doing this, typical fuel starvation symptoms. I checked the timing belt was still turning the cams, and checked that the spark was good. Was unable to check the fuel at the injectors as there's no real way to do that without unplugging something drastic.

I moved the receiver into a better position thinking the signal may be weak - no difference. I then pressed the top of the receiver (there's a reset button underneath) and tried again - no go. Lastly, I bypassed the wireless receiver on the pump - the car started up and idled fine. Therefore the sender or receiver isn't working properly. The sender looks fine under the dash but doesn't have any LEDs or anything to say if it's working or not.

One thing: the battery on the car has been dying recently - it is 9 years old, and typically they do start to fail at about that age (they are a small dry/gel-cell type battery). The charge gets down to about 11.8 volts after a day or two (having an alarm, auto-central-locking and a GPS tracker doesn't help I suppose ;-)

Looks like this is enough to cause the wireless relay not to engage properly ?

Dublin, Ireland
1996 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Turbo (Clifford Avantguard5)
1992 Mercedes 230CE (Falcon Predator Evo4+)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic