icon

DVD changer on ebay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nguyenk 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I was looking for a DVD changer to use in conjunction with a Pioneer AVIC N-1. As you may know, the N-1 use a DVD navigation so you can't watch video (I know that it's illegal) or listen to MP3 and use the Navigation system at the same time. Pioneer makes CD changers but they don't play MP3. They do have a DVD changer that play MP3 but it's expensive. Well I was looking on ebay and come across this unit.
http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&category=38649&item=7974187373&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
There are a bunch of them on ebay and it looks like they are manufactured in Taiwan. They claim to be universal but if you look, there are IP-bus ports so it may be compatible with Pioneer HUs that have IP-bus. Had anybody tried one of these and do they work OK? For a price, it may not be a bad deal... Comments please.
whiteblazer01 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
what?  you CAN have navigation, and play mp3s (or have a dvd playing) at the same time with the Avic.  Thats why Pioneer calls it a tri-zone unit.  first download the coarse onto the avic's memory, take out your navigation disc,  and put in the mp3 disc.   or if you want, you can get an mp3 changer (I know JVC makes one, but you would probably have to have an fm modulated version).   1 - download coarse, 2 - insert dvd for back seat video, and 3 - play the cd from the changer (via the radio). 
nguyenk 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
It's true that you can download the route onto the avic memory but it's limited. If you change route, you have to put the disc back in. My preference is to leave the Navigation Disc in and use a changer to play DVD or MP3. I don't think you need to use a FM modulated version if there are RCA outputs on the changer (most DVD changer has them). Anyway, I am looking to intergrate more with the N-1 thus the IP-Bus connection.
whiteblazer01 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
If you get a changer with RCA outputs, then all you have to do is get an IP-Bus to RCA adapter.  Pioneer part number CD-RB20.  Or you can get the XM Direct part for pioneer.  That is pretty much the same thing.  That is probably cheaper, as it retails for $50, and the pioneer part retails at $75. 
whiteblazer01 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention, you should be able to have a "home area map" saved to the avics memory. 
Preservedswine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yes and no. If you update to the latest map disc, then you lose the ability to watcgh video whil in motion on them main screen...thus why I am interested in a seperate DVD player as well....
And as you know, re-routing is very limited in memory mode, it will only re-route back on track, not make a new route... Andif you go off base by more than a few miles, you've lost all navigation capabilities...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic