icon

diy custom seat covers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hey... I am interested in creating my own seat covers in my car (future purchase).... I  was wondering do anybody know if there are some Videos or websites that can explain the process a little better... also. I was also wondering what all materials (including brands) would I need to get started...... especially the type of sewing machine needed for suede and leather material.... any information would be appreciated!!!!!
Biznisman2u
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  

Well, even a good used comercial sewing machine costs more money than it would be worth. Unless your planning to be in the upholstery business. Im talkin a grand easy....

I spent 5 years in a custom shop, we had 2 machines average age of the machine...20 years, average cost.... 2 grand, in the business for 58 years now. A sewing machine is an investment. Pfaff makes good machines.

good luck

biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
do any body know of anybody trying to sale one?
Biznisman2u
Forsfed 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
You might as well buy a leather replacement kit from someplace like Katzkin Leather. They pre-form all the leather to correctly fit your seats and you can choose a variety of colors and embroidery's. All you have to do is take the old cloth off you seats and replace it with the kit. Pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper all with a nice custom look...
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
get the mexican guy from pimp my ride
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Ha ha, Ish is great, he can put vinyl all over your car lol, yuck! Honestly man, making seat covers isn't as easy as making a pair of shorts... for a right fit and making everything even up right, it is a hell of a lot cheaper, easier and nicer just to let a pro do it. I am a MAJOR MAJOR MAAAAAAAAAJOR DIYer and as far as making seat covers goes, I will leave that up to a pro to do. Now putting vinyl on a sub box, I will do that all day long, but two TOTALLY different procedures, but if you want to do it, good luck man! send up pics, but you can go to a automotive shop and they will usually do any kind of seat covers for under a G. But good luck man!
Duke Duke
biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the advice, honestly i thought the machine would run something like $400-$1000.....

Biznisman2u
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/

A place to start  if you REALLY want to but a machine

You can also get in touch with an instructor at a local community collage, to get some info on a machine or maybe give some of his or her students a project

biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
what name and brand to look for... any specific model of machine....... thanks for the advice kartuneman... these other guys got jokes.... i know i can purchase the seats... dull!!!!! lookin' for a future investment...
Biznisman2u
KarTuneMan 
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Pfaff,  Juki, and Singer are the 3 that I am familier with. Pfaff is a good German machine. Juki....sound Japanese to me, and Singer, USA, of course. None of these would you be disappointed with. I would say stick to a cost option. And remember, sewing machines come in 2 parts, the head, and stand, or table with the moter....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic