icon

best way to strip a wire without cutting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mediashock 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

how do you guys do it.. share some tips plz.

the most probs i have is when its pretty tight and u gotta attach another wire to exisitng wire without cutting it.. i usulay try to cut around with exacto or strippers in two sports about 1/2" from each other and then cut the middle with exacto and feel the insulation off. .. its a pain in the ass. i am just wondering if anyuone has little tricks to speed this up.

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen a tool that does this in Parts Express, i dont know how well it works though, and i am not sure how much room around the wire you need to make it work. I know this is 'voodoo' method, but you can always use T-taps if you are not passing much current. I know i will get bashed on here for even bring them up, but hey, a good bashing is good for you every once in a while.
Jazzy
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

TEETH Work Good.

The Dentist Chewed me out for the Groves in my Teeth Years ago.

Honestly the best tool I have found to date is the Automatic wire strippers.

best way to strip a wire without cutting -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
vseth 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I use this tool as well, it's amazing. Donno, how much time I've saved since I discovered it. It's got a big head, so it can get hard to use if the area is cramped, but most of the time it get's through. But I no longer get the cuts and nicks from using blades, plus with using blades you often end up cutting some wire strands along with the insulation. This thing is great.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I'm on my 3rd pair of those things. They wear out in about a year, but you get your money out of em.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
I'm on my 3rd pair of those things. They wear out in about a year, but you get your money out of em.

Teeth or Strippers?

Stockton California
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
personally I've used that striper and it dosnt really work to good. Cons are that when your in a tight space you cant see which teeth to put it on to strip the wire. The best strippers are the ones that you can get at kragen's or radio shack. Its the one that can strip any wire up to ten gauge without having to put it on a certain teeth to get it. the teeth on it are horzontial . It works really well go to the shack they have both.
Lukeinst 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm proud of you guys for not bashing him too bad about the T-Taps.  I cant tell you how many I have ripped off and had to solder to repair some one else's mess.
Specializing in Police Equipment installations.
afterburner1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

With plastic insulation, either heat the plastic with a soldering iron or low flame, then remove the hot plastic with a pliers, long nose, etc. (Not fingers, cause it hurts removing hot plastic!) Learned years ago in the navy not to use any tool that will nick the wire as insulation is removed because vibration will cause it to break at that point.

afterburner1

afterburner
hotwaterwizard 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

These work great too. They cost me 99 cents at the 99 cent store.best way to strip a wire without cutting -- posted image.

Here are another type that work well for tight spots.

best way to strip a wire without cutting -- posted image.

Stockton California
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic