icon

different crossovers, which to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2005 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

ok, thought I would bring this up since it seems to be a recurring question that has been popping up and I'm sure many are wondering the correct answer (including myself). 

Nowadays, most head units have their own electronic crossover's, amps have their own crossovers, and speakers even have their own (passive or active). What is the correct procedure to use to get optimal sound out of all these crossovers? Use the headunit? Use the amp, use both?? I think it would be helpful for those in the know to post some theory behind this. If this has been beaten to death in the past, then please excuse the re-posting. Cheers.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Use both...............being redundant is OK...........
kklagge 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
Don't use both as it will change the slope of the crossover settings.
It really depends on what equipment you have and what the slope settings/capabilities are...I use my amps crossovers because my Alpine 9831 doesn't give me enough options (50, 80, 120, etc.)...I have my subs crossed @80 and the comps crossed @100
I do however use the parametric EQ on the Hu quite often to change the sound between different sources and different CD's.
Set the crossovers on each individually and see which actually sounds better to your ear while listening to what would be your cleanest CD
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

My 2 cents:  NEVER cascade crossovers.  You will end up with unpredictable effects.  If a loudspeaker is supplied with a passive crossover, always use it unless you are bi-ampling (or tri-amping) and fully understand the performance characteristics of all drivers involved.  If faced with the choice of using an active crossover built into an amp or one built into the head unit, I usually default to the HU if possible as the electronics are usually better and the installer can adjust all settings from one place.  If possible, use neither but a dedicated outboard crossover instead.  The crossover settings and slopes between any two speakers in a system should be at the same points, meaning if the sub low pass is set to 80Hz the mid-woofer high-pass shuld be set to 80Hz, cross between mid-woofer and tweeter shoud be the same, etc.  You want there to be no "holes" in the sound spectrum.  That being said, it is also normal to adjust crossovers away from these starting settings when fine-tuning a system's response, but only if you have the proper equipment (like an RTA) and know what you are doing.

Cheers

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic