icon

2 18's seal box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
i built a box with 2 seprate sub encloseures...i mounted 1 18 into it...and couldn't find another 18 for the other side..so i cut out the middle wall that slipt the box into 2 seal sections. i was going to go ported. but i found another 18 around my buddies shop.. should i re seal my hole i made?? or  leave it as 1 air space...
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Are you thinking of running two different 18's?
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
i am runing 2   18 hard kore MA audio subs...and there sharing an air space now..is it better to have them not share an air space and have them in seperate sealed boxes??
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

As a general rule, subs should always have their own chamber. Otherwise the subs will be competing with each other and performance/sound quality will suffer.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

You can successfully run 2 or more subs in a shared camber enclosure but, the problem being that if one sub takes a dump then the other with be short lived as it now has twice the airspace = less control over the sub.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
or you'll have a really inefficent (and poorly tuned) passive radiator.....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
What you should do is build a new box to the specs of the subs.  It looks to me like you were doing some guesswork there, just for the fact that you just opened up the center for one sub and thought that would be fine.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
the box was made to 2 proper air spaces seal for my 18's....in the sight of not finding another 18 i cut the hole in the box and was going to expaned it to 5 cu ft and port it....but i found another 18 and really don't need to port it. so if i closed this hole i'd have 2 proper air spaces sealed for 2   18's
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
My bad...you should be fine leaving the box as it is.  The subs are still using half the air space each.  An increase in air volume (in a sealed box) wouldn't hurt a subwoofer even if the wiring on one of the subs came loose or something.  Speakers are tested in sealed enclosures of about 58 cubic feet.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
When multiple subs use the same air volume there IS some interaction between the drivers. It is much harder to control each driver. Now, if you're not going for SQ, which I assume you're not, then you'll be fine.
ANyway, if this was an SQ system I'd always recommend a seperate enclosure for each sub.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic