icon

02 chrysler town & country stereo woes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
terminaloverlow 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
howdy - first time caller, with big problem..
i'm trying to put a Jvc dvd head unit and 2 9" drop screens in my 02 town & country lxi..
head unit - JVC KD-AVX1
Wiring harness - Metra 70-6502
problem - double checked my wiring harness connections TWICE, and i get NOTHING out of the speakers, not even noise.
i'm not using the pre-outs, only the harness leads for the factory speaker connections through the harness.
i cant find ANY info on my year/model t&c ANYWHERE that might help me identify the problem.
does my van come with a hidden factory amp somewhere, and i'm not seeing the power lead under the dash? does such an amp exist and i've blown the fuse for it ?
i've checked the 'stereo' installation guide in the 'install bay' area of this forum, but the link to information to my 02 van pulls up a diagram that says 84-up, which isn't necessarily what i need.
tia..
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
If it is the Inifinity system, the factory head unit digitally turns the amp on through a relay in the engine compartment. You need to find that relay and feed the output of the relay 12 volts to get the amp to turn on.
Jazzy
terminaloverlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
i think i found the lead on the 'car side' of the original harness that activates it, but the 'remote out' from the new deck only makes it click a lot, it wont activate it..
how would i go about making my 'remote out' 12 volts..
thanks for the response, too..
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
If you are making the relay click then you are not feeding the ouput of the relay 12 volts, you are just feeding the relay 12 volts to. You basically need to by pass the relay.
Jazzy
terminaloverlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
how do i confirm whether i do or dont have a factory amp.
i dont have the infiniti sound system, but i have an extra white wire on the factory harness that isn't on the metra harness that i have.
it's located in the empty spot between 'mute' and 'power ant' on my metra harness..
this is bugging the hell out of me..
jstruckman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you dont have the Infinity system then you dont have to worry about finding the relay for the amp, as there is no amp.
Jazzy
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have a meter? Plug in the factory radio again and ensure that the system works. If it does, meter every single wire when the factory radio is operating and see what wires are going to +12volts. go to www.installdr.com to see if the molex is listed for your vehicle. This will give you some more information to go by.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kmitchel 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden may have your solution http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf 

has a specific tip for Infinity amps, apparently it's ground switched so the remote wire will not work directly.  you can use put a relay on the remote wire to switch the amp on and off, see https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp "Convert a Positive Output to a Negative Output"

terminaloverlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys.. i've been kicking myself over this one..
borrowed a tester, i'm going to see if the white wire coming out of the factory harness is the negative trigger you mentioned.. if it is, i'll get a relay on my remote out and that should take care of it..
thanks..
terminaloverlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
no luck..
found these things out:
1. i do have a factory amp.
2. the factory head unit will power on the amp, and i can uplug the factory head unit, and plug in my JVC, and get sound.. but when i turn the key off and back on.. the amp doesn't turn back on..
3. i think i'm the first person on the planet to put a different head unit in an 02 town n country.. theres NOTHING on the web about wtf is going on.. :(
thanks for the help guys, but i think i'm on my own on this one..
(tried the relay thing.. found out the only wire not being used by my harness is an ilumination wire.. 'not' the factory amp feed..)
here's a question:
where could i 'look for' the factory amp to be at ? maybe i can bypass the power completely.. any suggestions where to look ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic