the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bypass for AVIC-N2, the real one

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I am a bit baffled by the junction problem you are having with your N2. What is it not doing that you are unhappy with...and don't say the video lockout.
cschoen 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you read my rant you would see that I don't care for the movies while driving. I am actually quite against it. So to what my issue is: I had all the same speakers and amps in an explorer and took all out to put it in a 05 f150. Spent like 12 hrs dynomating everything everywhere. The only thing I changed is me head unit (n2) and the sub enclosure (different shape same vol). I did mess with any crossover setting or anything, hooked everything up and ran "flat" out of the head unit as I did before, and it sounds as if the sound is kind of out of balance voices are too soft and any "ss" sounds and symbols are too bright. Bass is fine. You got any ideas? Should I let the head unit do all the sound processing and run the amps flat? As for the sirius issue, the first module I installed worked for one day and the the sirius came on the screen and I could not change the stations (the tone would sound to tell me it was trying to change the station but there was no channel # visible. So I questioned my antenna location and ripped everything apart moved it all around and nothing helped. Traded the module (sirius box only) plugged in the new and it worked fine for 2 weeks and then it started doning the same thing again. Today I called the store I purchased it from to let them know and they are going to order another one for me to try. It just kind of bumbs me out that I have so much time invested to build the best system I've evere done and it doesn't work as good as my last one and it's 3 times the price. Any help from knowledgable people would be greatly appreciated
cschoen 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
Oh.. I do think it would be nice to change my route on nav while in traffic. I think if I just link the brake sense wire to any hot wire it will probably take care of that for me though.
Bknight187 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

Last Update:   Ok in responce to all the question i have had, i got on the phone with a "friend" that has the name poineer on his pay check(i see from reading posts in this forum that this is important....HAHA).  After a very long talk, i came up with an easier way to bypass an N2 for all of those who don't know how to use a relay.  If you take the GPS antenna wire and strip it back(DO NOT CUT IT IN HALF). Take the first layer of insolation off so that the shield is exposed.  It will look like woven metal.  Cut this metal so that it is no connected.  Next place a switch inbetween the two new ends that you just made(the idea is that you can now break the singal on this wire).  Try to keep that wire leads on the switch as short as you can.  Now you will need to hook up the VSS wire, and place a switch on it so that you can brake the signal(The gps will work with out VSS hooked up but it can be up to a 1/2 off on the map, and you also with not get trun by turn directions that are accurate).  Last you will have to hook up a swith to the brake wire.  I would recommend taking all three connection go to one switch.  So to watch a moive wile moving the brake wire, VSS, And the shield to the gps antenna need to be open.  NO RELAYS and you can watch a moive.  I have installed it this way in a ram truck i did two days ago and it works great.  Plus you don't have to take apart the brain .  good luck everyone

Bknight187
First Class MECP Installer
Customautomotiv 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to chime in on the pioneer sucks crap idea. Pioneer cant please everyone......it very well could be your inability to tune your new head unit...or it could be your installation....or it may indeed be a bad head unit. I have the N1 installed in my Audi and love it. I have never had a problem with this unit and I think it is one of the better nav units on the market.....and yes I have installed nav units by kenwood, alpine and eclipse. Everyone of them has their pluses and minuses. The one thing I like about the avic series...is that you dont have to hook up the vss wire. YES....thats correct.....you dont have to. Does it work better with it ? YES. I dont have the vss wire hooked up in my Audi...nor did I have hooked up in my previous car that it was in. The unit is still accurate to within 50 yards of my destination 100% of the time. And thats pretty damn good. As far as the bypass idea....and im probably going to get raked over hot coals for this..........I think pioneer has done themselves a great disservice by locking out the use of the unit while driving. I realize that watching a movie while driving is illegal and inherantly dangerous.....but chew on this idea.......you have your N2....you cant watch movies while your driving, so while your driving and not watching movies you're probably speeding, drinking while your driving, using your cell phone while driving...all of which are illegal and inherantly dangerous...but we still do them. I realize pioneer is trying to send a message ..but it has resulted in them selling less units......and in turn causes us as installers to potentially loose customers. The one thing that is great about software based electronics is that that software can be overwritten..no matter how encoded it is....it was developed therfore it can be hacked. So go ahead and flame me.....but its my opinion...everyone here does something wrong everday..whats one more thing......we are all sinners and are going to hell anyways...lmao....just kidding. Thanks for my turn to rant and vent!
italianmafia03 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
I think danieljaluise is right.  I am not comfortable with hacking up my $2K Navi unit.  But, if the fix was as simple as edited software I would do it in a second!  My dad and my cousin are both computer programer/software engineers.  I will talk to them this weekend and throw the idea out.  Till then, I am doing the right thing and NOT watching TV while driving down the street.  I drive a Crossfire, the only thing behind me is a 12" sub, so there is no excuse why I should be watching TV.
Unique customs 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

Bknight187 wrote:
Update:   Finished the car today.......i went and hooked all three switchs together(barking brake, vss wire, gps antenna) two just one.  now with a flip of a switch you can watch a moive.  Just let the person know that owns the car that when they flip it back to gps it will take 10-30 sec for the gps to know where the car is, but after the you are good to go. 

I have to do one of these on want to know did this really work for you with the relays?

Do the vss wire have to be connected to the car vss wire? 

Hit me!
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
has anyone looped throught the rear view camera hook up. And put the reverse wire to 12volt switch. i heard that this works if you don't hook up the rear view camera.
Bknight187 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Both Methods have worked fine for me, relays and switch's (only)
Bknight187
First Class MECP Installer
Unique customs 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Bknight187 wrote:
Both Methods have worked fine for me, relays and switch's (only)

Do the vss wire have to be hooked up? I installed one of these ( AVIC N2) and the dvd cuts off. This is after I did the gps ant JUST like you posted. It did work for a day or so but now even with the switch on to watch the dvd it stills shuts down I need so HELP. The green brake wire is on a switch also.

Hit me!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic