icon

How to make my bass better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marlinspike 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, The car is a 1985 Mercedes 380SE. I recently installed a Nakamichi CD-400 head unit and ran via 13 guage (or maybe 11, I forget) IXOS wire (it was directional and gamma threaded) 2 alpine sps-460a's in the rear and 2 alpine sps-080a's in the front. The sound is good, but when I crank it loud the bass starts to distort. I don't blast bass or listen to rap, but it happens with like john lee hooker or any somewhat bassy music (Chuck Berry, Foreignor, stuff like that). I don't want to put on bass blockers because most of the time I am not listening to the music loud, and I don't want to needlessly get rid of certain frequencies. I'm told my only choice is to add a sub (the people at crutchfield recommended the Kenwood KSC-SW1). So my questions are these: What do you all recommend I do considering my listening habits (classic rock, oldies, classical, talk) and that I want to make as minor modifications to my car as possible. If at all possible I want to avoid doing anything irreversible, including screw holes. How would I go about installing this? The Nakamichi head unit has a seperate subwoofer control so I'm guessing the wiring is simple. I also want it to be something that you would never know is there from looking inside the car. It's ok if you can see it when you open the trunk, but I don't want to be seen when you open the car. That's another thing, I want it to be as light and small as possible.

Also there are three deal breakers: it take up substantial space, it requires an external amp (i.e I can't wire it into my Nak head unit), or it requires you to make a cutout.

Thanks,

Rihcard

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Your best bet is to go with Crutchfield's advice and use a powered subwoofer.  (Infinity makes one, too.)  Crutchfield will help you with the setup.  After that is installed, you'll be able to raise the crossover frequency on your mains and play music with no distortion.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
marlinspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2005 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know any online stores that have more extensive collections than crutchfield? They only have 2 powered subs that could fit under a seat, and I feel like there are probably more out there.
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Check out Car domain here http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Enclosed+Subwoofers

They carry powered subs from Infinity, Bazooka, Kenwood and Clarion.

I would suggest either the Infinity Basslink or a Bazooka Tube.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

I've never gotten a chance to listen to an Infinity basslink but I have heard really good things about it. Crutchfield did a comparison of the Kenwood w00x (which is similar to the kenwood power sub mentioned above) and the Infinity basslink. Here is a link to it.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-NaCdveKwIjU/reviews/20040413/bass_reviews.html

racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Customsuburb,

I have heard a few Basslinks and was actually quite impressed. I am actually thinking about installing one in thw wifes Astro as she wants just a little better bass responce as it already has the high end Bose (Yes Bose) system in it.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
marlinspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
The only two units I see for my application (since I want small, from what I'm told it can't go in the trunk, meaning it has to go under the front passenger seat meaning I have to go to VERY small) is the clarion phase 1 srv303 and that kenwood I mentioned above, and it seems the kenwood is a better unit. So now I have to make my measurements and see if it will in fact fit, but I also have to ask, will having the sub under the front passenger seat make the sound unbalanced since the sub will be off to one side? Also, if I mount it to the seat bottom, will it become a seat massager (i.e do I have to mount it to the floor, or can I mount it to the seat)?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic