icon

Should I be installing an alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sad, little man 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I need to get an alarm for my '96 Mazda Miata since it's sometimes left in a lot for days at a time, and it'd be nice to park the car places with the top down and not worry too much about it. It has an OE alarm, but apparently they're sensitive to jump starting, so it got fried by the previous owner. I'd like to spring for a two way pager system so I can make sure my alarm's not constantly going off for no reason. I don't want to have one of those cars with an obnoxious alarm that's always going off. I realize these are complicated, and looking at pictures there do seem to be a lot of wires involved. I'm currently going to college for automotive mechanics, and I'm about to start my first job working in a dealership garage. I've had some basic electrical classes, so I know some basics and how to read wiring diagrams. Is it a good idea to install my own alarm? Being the summer I can probably have the car out of comission as long as I need to to put everything in. What would be involved in it? Is there a lot of splicing into the existing wiring on the car, or only for a few things like starter kill relays?
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Alot of it depends on your confidence and knowledge.  Also, if you had someone with exp. to guide you along, it might be worth doing it yourself.

But then again, I do not know any reputable alarm company that will warranty any of its pieces unless they are installed by an authorized professional.  Just too many things that can go wrong. 

Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Part of it is just not wanting anyone else to put it in. I've heard of so called professional places doing a pretty poor job. As long as I knew what I was doing, the quality of work would be good.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Sad, little man wrote:
Part of it is just not wanting anyone else to put it in. I've heard of so called professional places doing a pretty poor job. As long as I knew what I was doing, the quality of work would be good.

Go do some research on shops and ask to see the installers credentials, possible photo of installs, etc...  to see what kind of quality the shop promotes.

Why does 1 bad egg ruin the bunch?

I know that at our shop, we see some bad alarm jobs.  Most of them do not come from any of the audio stores in my city.  They come from DIY, window tint shops, Car detail shops, rim shops, etc....    Most of those places are lucky to do 2-4 alarms/month and do not have the experience, knowledge, or expertise many times.

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Sad--
First of all, check out the basics here.
I'd say that you certainly _could_ do it, but given that you've not yet done one, it'd probably be best to have some help.
If you came by my shop, and were willing to pay for a normal install, I'd walk you through it. I'd expect the process as a whole to take longer (than it would for me to do it by myself), but I'd get to walk away and work on other cars.
Check w/ some of the shops nearby, and see if they'd be open to that. Go in sometime where they're not busy (and so hungry for work...)
Benefit to you:
You know it's done _right_ (you did it, and an expert checked it) and you still get the benefit of the warranty. There's lots of little details to a good, clean install that it's unlikely you'll figure out on your first install.
Benefit to me:
You do most of the work.
Make sure that:
You hook up hood pin, trunk pin, etc. W/ a convertible, I'd definitely recommend a proximity sensor, but this is a lot of work to get tuned correctly, and you're going to want to understand the tuning process so you can play w/ it.
All wires should really be soldered. If you don't have a lot of experience, practice on some bare wires first. Wires that go through the firewall (hood-pin, siren wires, and tach if you're doing a remote start) should be grommeted and sealed (w/ some sort of caulk).
Use some split-loom and a little creativity to hide the wires and brain, if you want some extra security (at the expense of having more trouble if you ever need to adjust things and what-not).
Take care, and let us know how it goes,
Me
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
You have some electrical skill as you indicated. If you can put the two pieces of infomation together I don't see why you can not do it. Ask questions if you get stuck. You are going into automotive, so you might as well get your hands dirty. Even if you don't plan to go into the electronic area at least you have a feel of what it's like to be on the other side of the fence.    
Here is an install manual for an alarm.
DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - MAZDA / MIATA / 1996 / Remote Start
12volts white    +   ignition harness
Starter BLACK/ blue    +   ignition harness
Second Starter          
Ignition blue    +   ignition harness
Second Ignition BLACK/ red    +   ignition harness
Third Ignition          
Accessory BLACK/ white    +   ignition harness
Second Accessory          
Keysense          
Power Lock add actuator      in drivers door
Power Unlock add actuator      in drivers door
Lock Motor          
Unlock Motor          
Parking Lights+ RED / black      back of dimmer, f-box
Parking Lights- WHITE/ lt. green      steering column
Hazards          
Turn Signal(L)          
Turn Signal(R)          
Reverse Light          
Door Trigger RED / white or white    -   underdash light
Dome Supervision          
Trunk/Hatch Pin          
Hood Pin          
Trunk/Hatch Release          
Power Sliding Door          
Factory Alarm Arm          
Factory Alarm Disarm          
Disarm No Unlock          
Tachometer yellow/blue    ac coil at rear of motor
Wait to start          
Brake Wire green    +   brake switch
Parking Brake          
Horn Trigger grn/red or grn/yel    -   st. column white plug
Memory Seat 1          
Memory Seat 2          
Memory Seat 3          
Interface Module: Category:
Required:
No Type:
N/A
Part #: N/A
Notes: N/A

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Should I be installing an alarm -- posted image.
Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks pencil, that's some great info. I wouldn't want to impose on any shops asking them to let me do it in their shop. If I'd do it I'd just do it on my own. I'm sure I could figure things out. I also have lots of expirience soldering, that wouldn't be an issue. But as far as how much splicing into the existing wire I'd have to do, let me see if I have this right... All I'll really need to tap into the existing wiring for is the starter disable, the triggers for the doors, and the the power locks, right? (I'm not planning to hook up the remote start feature in an MTX car.) The rest of the system is just added into the car and plugs right into the computer, like the shock sensor, proximity sensor, siren, and hood open trigger, correct? I want to make sure this isn't going to require splicing and soldering dozens and dozens of wires because that is difficult and time consuming.
Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, this is the system I'm looking at... http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_1590.html# Unfortunately they don't make a 2 way system without a bunch of added features, but all I really want hooked up is a starter kill, triggers for the doors and hood, sensors for shock and proximity, and keyless entry.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
"I want to make sure this isn't going to require splicing and soldering dozens and dozens of wires because that is difficult and time consuming."
Always, ONE WIRE AT A TIME!
Yes, looks like you are on the right track. Make sure you get an alarm that has a good installation manual that you can understand. D.I.Y. biggest mistake is get an alarm that has great looks and lots of toy, but poor instruction as to get it to work. Take a look at AUTOSTART ALARM. They have one of the best installation manual. As for doing it yourself, ask questions if you are not sure. DON'T GUESS there are lots of pros. here to help you out.   
As for paying a shop to do the install. Priceless. I have better skills and many years of experience than you. Isn't that worth that much $$$$ by itself?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Should I be installing an alarm -- posted image.
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
First-- the alarm in the link above is a 791XV-- since you're not planning on hooking up the R/S portion, you might be better off w/ one of DEI's alarm-only w/ the two-way feature, such as the 5000 or the python 900. You should save a little cash.
FWIW, if you considering soldering even 3 dozen wires difficult and time consuming, I wouldn't let you touch my car's electrical system... I can easily solder and tape 50-100 in an hour, even underneath the dash. I spend most of my time installing alarms routing wires and (in cars for which I have incorrect or incomplete wiring diagrams) finding wires.
I think it's funny that people who have been doing this so long they don't remember how bad their first install was make it sound like it won't be a big deal to do as a first-timer, w/o pros around (except via an internet site). I also think it's funny that people think that DEI's warranty is worthless. Last of all, I think it's funny that people don't think it's worth less than half the cost of the alarm Sad is considering to be absolutely sure it's done right.
Anyway, it certainly is possible to do. Take your time, be patient -- allocate a couple of days for this (it might only take 4-6 hours, but you might run into problems, and not have your car for awhile....). I definitely echo the above sentiment-- DON'T GUESS-- if in doubt, ask!
Me

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic