grounding an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armageddon 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have a 2005 saturn ion and since the battery is located in the back, I was wondering if it is fine if I ground the amp to the same place that the battery is grounded.

Thank you

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's fine.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
since when do you grond an amp? i always just ran the two power wires from the battery
samroza 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Obviously no matter how you wire the amp, it will be grounded 100% of the time, or else it wouldn't work very well, would it?

I'm not a hardcore enthusiast. I don't put my cars in shows. Hell, most of the time I just want a small sub to compliment my factory audio system. I've always just grounded the sub at it's mounting location and I have yet to have issues with noise or power.

Sam Roza
danieljaluise 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
soundmasta wrote:
since when do you grond an amp? i always just ran the two power wires from the battery
dude, are you serious?   why would you waste the money on a two wires the length of the car, when you can use one wire just the same.
running a ground cable all the way to the battery is a waste.
NH VW Junky 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
This has been the "Old School" method for years. I think it comes from the days of Full frame cars that rusted quite a bit and made grounding a bit of an issue.
Now as long as you remove any paint or protectant from the metal - you should be able to find a good ground most places in a car.
Once MECP Certified - No I dream about twisting wires.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Running the ground wire directly to the battery is actually yields the best ground, its just not usually done becasue its not worth the extra time and wire it takes to do it.
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Grounding directly to the battery vs. to chassis has been discussed many times on these forums. Niether one is better than the other as long as you have zero resistance when referencing your ground back to the negative terminal of the battery. Again, there is a sticky written by Forbidden on the top of the forum page.
Jazzy
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
uhhh...i was joking.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic