icon

shop painting ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
ok i finished my box painted it and the paint keeps peeling off i think its due to the primmer which was a plastic primer that a guy at home depot told my sister to get... bad idea.. i put my box into my car and it slightly touched the rubber around the trunk and peeled right off... waste of time effort and money.. so pissed off and i just want it to get painted professionaly.. around how much is the cost? i think i read like 50 correct? and does this include sanding and all? since i already have it painted how much do you think they will charge to sand, mix paint to factory color, and paint? thanks
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have any pics of the box? Any idea what are the dimensions of the box? How well of a job sanding did you already do? And 50 is probably not gonna happen depending on the size of the box and the quality your after anywhere from $100 - 500 I would guess.
Mike
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
um .65 cu ft for size... um i did a lot of sanding idk how good it is tho lol..
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you are painting Fibreglass you need to use an Etch Primer, this has an acid which holds onto the fiberglass like teeth. Then you apply your Epoxy primer over that.
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
i never heard of etch primer before,   do they put the chemical needed in any high build primers,  i just bought some primer, havent used it yet, still in the sanding and smoothing out low spot part before i primer my rear deck.  I also heard some paints dont want to stick to some primers, has to do with the kind of primer, that might be what ur saying. im still new to this also.(the paint part)
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
i just called an auto bod shop they said to use an adhesion promoter... is that like the etch primer?
Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
Similar, adhesion promoter is basically an epoxy, some high build primers have this, but its not like an etch primer, its basically just very sticky... Etch primer is usually used on fresh fibreglass or body filler. You can use a standard primer, but its more likely to peel.
phatx96xaccord 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
would it be ok to use the high build primer, and after everything is smooth and ready to paint, just spray the etch primer over the high build primer?
phatx96xaccord 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2005 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
would it be ok to use the high build primer, and after everything is smooth and ready to paint, just spray the etch primer over the high build primer?
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
the process i have always used is this......sand the glassed piece to 120-180 grit. spray polyester primer. sand from 180 or 220 to 400. if there are pinhols or imperfections fill them. if you broke throught tht e primer at all use a sealer primer. a sealer is a non sanding primer. then shoot the color then the clear, sand with 1500 or 2000 grit then buff it back shiny
look at the flickr in my sig and there are some things i painted on there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic