icon

speakers popping and cutting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ice_cold 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

My system at this time is a stock am/fm/cd player, mid-line variety, with 6 speakers..it is installed in a 1999 Chrysler(Dodge) Intrepid. It has a factory amp in it.

My problem is, first I lost all sound on the left, then the right fronts both went out, then they kicked back on...while all this was happening, we noticed that when ever the turn signal or brkes were applied, the left rear speaker would make a popping sound. I have been told it could be a ground problem, its just I cannot find where the ground for the HU is on the car. But i cannot see how a poor ground would cut out a entire side?? But still cause a pop sound? Any ideas on what to test and how, or should I just run it in to a shop and have them take a rip at it?

Mike D aka Ice-cold

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
You could have bad speakers or a bad amp.  Your vehicle has a ground cable connected to the rear of the radio,  there is no ground wire in the harness.
Do it right the first time
Ice_cold 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

starting to think its the amp...will try out a different one to see whats going on...Thanks for your time

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Your issues are with a factory only system?  Or have you modified or added something?
Support the12volt.com
Ice_cold 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

Its all stock..just recently we discovered that the car was in a accident and the air bags had blown, also while looking for the ground, it looks like there was a remote starter installed but someone has removed it and left all the plugs and harness behind.

Am thinking there could be something loose or bare somewhere that I have not been able to find as of yet.

There is a steady buzz coming from the speakers that is not rpm based..so I am thinking the amp is pooched or there is a major groound problem here.

Mike D  aka Ice_cold

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the vehicle probably has more issues than a hum in the audio system.  I'd rip it ALL out and return everything to stock or replace it all with a good aftermarket system and fix all the electrical issues.  No telling what nightmares you have waiting for you in that thing.
Support the12volt.com
Ice_cold 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Going with a aftermarket set.....Like the stock look but its to much hassle. Will be running a small system for now...have one prob ...the HU is from my truck,which was totalled, my buddy pulled the deck, but forgot the wiring harness and plug for it and the face plate. The unit is a Pioneer DEH P8250. Any plave in Canada that I can find it cheap? Or am I going to have to get hold of Pioneer?

Thanks for the insight...Mike D aka Ice_cold

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Your sound shop can get you a harness through Metra for cheap.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic