icon

2 ohms or 8 ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirty651 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
i have two alpine type-e subs(4 ohms each). my amp operates 4-8 ohms. whats the sound difference from the subs in 2 ohm load compared to an 8 ohm load?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2005 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
None.  The difference is only for wiring flexibility.  Connect them to your amp for a total 4 ohm load.
Support the12volt.com
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry to second guess you, DYohn since you're definitely more knowledgeable about these things than myself.
But how would he hook two 4ohm subs up for a total of a 4ohm load?
samroza 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not one to second-guess you either, DYohn, but the only way I can think of to get 4 ohms out of those 2 subs is with one sub on each channel of a 2 channel amp, or possibly with some impedance-matching circuitry.

I am an unthinking n00b, however and I don't know one tenth of the tricks you do for sure...

Sam Roza
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

Ahh, you guys didn't do your homework.  Nothing wrong with that answer.  The Alpine Type E DVC 4 ohm sub can be wired to either 2 ohm or 8 ohm.  There is no audible difference either way in the sub.  Two of these will make a final 4 ohm load on the amp.  (The poster can't be talking about a final 2 ohm load on the amp because he states that his amp operates 4 - 8 ohms...)

I'll add, though, that series/parallel wiring is the preferred way....wire coils in series, subs in parallel.

2 ohms or 8 ohms? -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, thanks steve I assumed they were the DVC models and he was asking about 2 or 8 ohms EACH.  If they are SVC subs then obviously it's 2 or 8 total.  The answer is the same as far as SQ of the subs.  The amp SQ is different, though, and in general will sound better with higher impedence loading, although being able to HEAR that difference may be another story.
Support the12volt.com
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't think they made DVC Type E subs.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
AH, incorrect. THere IS a difference between 2 and 8 ohms.
A doubling of Ohms causes a halving of THD.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
dirty651 wrote:
i have two alpine type-e subs(4 ohms each). my amp operates 4-8 ohms. whats the sound difference from the subs in 2 ohm load compared to an 8 ohm load?
It also seems to me that NOBODY has re-read your post. (well, maybe ONE person did...) Your amp is not even stable at 2 ohms. Why are you looking to run it a 2 ohms, when it ain't able to do it? Run one woofer to one channel, and the other woofer to the other channel, you amp will see a load of 4 ohms - a perfectly safe operating condition. Leave the amp in stereo mode (or mixed mono, or summed mono, or something like that, just DON'T bridge it) and go.
If you INSIST on bridging the amp, you are stuck with NOTHING besides running them in series (4 + 4 = 8) then bridging the amp, for a net load of 4 ohms per channel. Sorry, man. There is the ONLY answer for you, until you get a better (more capable) amp.
boardinbum wrote:
I didn't think they made DVC Type E subs.
You are correct - I have been unable to find DVC type E's... Single voice coils only!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dirty651 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
AH, incorrect. THere IS a difference between 2 and 8 ohms.
A doubling of Ohms causes a halving of THD.

So...the lower the load resistance the higher the power?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic