icon

Speaker Installation Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
v-TECH 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone, I am newbie to all of this and I do not know anything about hooking up speaker in my car. I hope someone in this forum could help me out. I have 4 6X9 speakers that I want to install in the rear of my car. So I would have 4 speakers in the back and 2 in the front. Can anyone tell me what are the steps I need to connect these 4 6X9 speaker to my head unit? Also, do i need an external amp connecting to these 6x9? If so, what are the steps to take on doing so? Thank you
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

4 6x9's? why so many, why not just two? Explain what you think you will gain from this type of set up.

In a short answer you will not have much luck in using your deck's power ( which I assume you are using for power) for six 4 ohm speakers. It will be too much for your deck to deal with. So this leaves you with the need for an external amp to power two 6x9's. Not really efficient, instead you should use that effort in installing an amp for a sub. Again I am assuming that your need for more x9s' is for more bass. 

samroza 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with dwarren. 2 6.x9s in the rear is more than enough, and a more efficient way of doing things. You would need an additional, external amp just for the 2 extra 6x9s.

What kind of car is this? to need 6 6x9's, it ought to be Excursion sized...

Sam Roza
saterdaynight 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
hmmm... sounds like you are in a little over your head. i think what was formerly stated was correct. your deck wont be able to handle 6 speakers (regardless of size) so you need to get an amplifier for at least 2 of those. that will cause you some tuning problems because 4 speakers will most likely be under powered so it wont sound right. the best thing to do, would be to eather stick with 2 front 2 rear, or buy a whole bunch of amplification. you can get 6 chanel amps, but they are kinda pricey... i would agree that you dont need the 6 of them though, there is also an issue of what car it is going into, your handle being v-tech leads me to beleive that you would want these put into a honda?
if you wanted the 6 speakers it would probably require alot of custom work to your car to make them all fit and that could be more pain and money than you want to even think about. most cars have provisions for 2 speakers back, 2 speakers front and i dont know about your situation, but your car might not have the mounting provisions for 6x9 speakers. i presume the front ones are already in the car?
an option, depending on how much space you have, would be some space saveing generic 6x9 enclosers, they usualy have clip terminals on the back and let you place them on the floor, behind seats, ect.
not knowing your specific situation, i would recomend just 4 speakers, and if those speakers have high power handeling, some sort of 4 chanel amplifier to run them. past that, if your deck has pre-amp outs (RCA cables/hookups comeing out the back of the deck) you would be best off to use those when you hook up said amp. also, hooked up to the amp, should be power, ground, and remote turn on, the amp should be mounted solidly somewhere that has enough space for proper cooling (usualy and inch or an inch and a half space all around is recomended, i personaly, like to see more than that... then your speakers are connected to the amp positive to positive, negitive to negitive, ect, ect.
alot of decks have more than one pre amp out, some have none....
its hard to help much not knowing the type of car or the rest of your sound gear. i think your smart to ask for help instead of jumping in and messing things up. however, no matter how much anyone types here, i dont realy thing it will help you compleatly, the best advice i can give you is to find someone that has experience to help you...
anyway, just what i think
speed is my drug of choice, let me drive...
v-TECH 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks guys, I would now reconsider on just having 2 6x9 in the rear. By the way... each 6X9 of mine have a power capacity of handling 200 watts, is it wise for me to use an external amp to power these 2 6X9s? And yes dwarren is right, my original plan was to use my deck for power. But i think it would be more wise to use an external amp to power these 6x9s.
v-TECH 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
thanks saterdaynight for the great info Speaker Installation Question -- posted image.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

Ideally a good four channel amp that is between 50-100 watts rms will do just fine. My guess about that 200 watt rating is that is PEAK power not RMS. Do not gauge your speakers power handling capabilities on PEAK power, rather use RMS or continuous power.

What type of vehicle, you forgot to mention that.

Are you looking for more bass with those extra 6x9's or was that just an idea?

saterdaynight 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
no problem,
ok, is that 200 rms (continuous) or 200 peak? your deck, if it is a good one, will probably have only about 45 to 55 wats of power that usualy being peak, mabe a little more but decks are usualy not very powerfull, so the problem you will have, is that your sound will sound thin and watery, not clear, distored, and just generaly not that good if you sevearly underpower them. my recomendation would be to buy a 4 chanel amplifier to use with them. i use one made by jbl, i think it is one of the best for the money but there are alot of very good amplifiers out there to choose from. mine is a gto 75.4, it has 100w rms per chanel and i got it for about 180 off ebay. that is just what i use, one of the cool things about car audio is that there are so many good brands and products that its hard to choose a good one, but there are also alot of bad brands out there, i can tell you personaly never to buy anything made by soundstorm, it is compleat junk. fosgate is very good, kicker is good, jbl, alpine (one of best sound quality i think, kind of pricey though) eclipse is the same, memphis makes a realy realy good amp but they are very expensive. for your aplication, something mabe similar to mine would be a great choice, i have alpine componenets and audio bahn 5x7 that i use, the alpine are 50w rms so the amp is a little big but i keep the gain down so i dont blow them. just be carful that you dont over power your speakers, that will blow them up realy fast.
ask around and see what outher people recomend for amp, you are shure to find a good one.
speed is my drug of choice, let me drive...
sonson 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

when  you are installing mids and highs  to disconnect the speakers from the head unit  or  leave them

ha ha

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic