the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

DEI Sidewinder in a '04 Mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Strykrincognito 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Just as an update, I did install the Peripherial TBFD1 into my Mustang, and programmed it to spec without issue. I was concerned that the unit that I purchased wasn't compatible (as the documentation only goes up to '02-'03), however after install it tested fine with a non-PATS key.  Bypass completed.

The Sidewinder high-voltage relay set for the ignition happens to have an additional relay to drive a second ignition wire, which, since the 'Stang doesn't have one, I rewired the relay so the Accessory circuit now drives it instead. All soldiered in. (whew)

Next step is the door relay system. The Sidewinder seems to have a Positive locking output wire, and a Negative unlock wire; The Mustang uses the 3-Wire Positive Pulse system. Based on the documentation for the unit, I'm just going to have to wire in two relays (which I already have), one relay coil to 12v, and one to ground, then my unit should use each one to trigger it's respective door lock/unlock wire. Sound right?

Tick, tick.... one wiring harness at a time. :)

Strykrincognito 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Completed the Sidewinder 6500ESP install, and for the most part, it works great! Had to change the factory disarm trigger wire to run 'accessory' rather than just a trigger pulse (Menu 3-7 on the program feature) to run the Bypass module.  Also, had to wire an additional relay into the starter sequence to power the third Accessory wire for the A/C compressor.  Not a big deal. Found out that the 6500 could power the lock and unlock directly without the need for relays (tried the advice from a previous post - thx).

Few things I was curious about though:

After wireup, it seems that the unlock sequence is not cascaded like the Ford stock unit, I just hit the unlock button once and both locks unlock together. Personally, not a big deal, but just curious if anyone knows the trick to that. Also, I wired up the dome supervision light as spec'd, and it doesn't seem to trigger when I unlock the doors. I haven't gone through the config menus yet though, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. The stock remote still works as expected.

Also, is there any use for. capability to activate the remnance of the stock alarm? I know the horn can be triggered by the 6500 if I want it to, but just curious if it was possible to sync the two systems together.

oh, and BTW: When I looked for the Tach monitor wire, I tried the ORANGE / Yel wire that was listed in the wiring specs in another post in some other forum for an '04 Mustang off the Powertrain Module, and it did not give a tach reading; the 6500 detected nothing. I ended up probing and splicing into the coil pack connector, Pink/White I believe (2nd wire from left). Works fine. I tested the over-rev after Learning, and it stalled as expected.

TIA!

Strykrincognito 
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, signing off on this topic, this particular project is done for the most part. Whole unit is installed, thanks for all the help all who replied.

End result:           

Full unit installed
               Controls all doors and trunk. (Note: Stepped door lock feature not operational anymore)
               Remote Starts perfectly, starter kill relay installed as well.
               All safeguard options work as expected. 
Thanks again.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic