icon

Componant Suggestions for 03 Silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
I finally have enough cash to upgrade my front speakers from the incredibly crappy stocks and am looking for some advice on what to get. I prefer to buy from a shop due to a warranty and support from them if I ever need it.
The local shop I go through carries Diamond Audio, Alpine, JL Audio, Pioneer, Zapco, and Planet Audio stuff. They have a set of Diamond Hex S600s Componants on their board that the owner is willing to sell me for about $300 with the full warranty included. Would it be a good plan to go with these or is there some better stuff that you could recommend from the list of manufacterers above at reasonably close prices? They are being powered by my Aura Force 400Q amplifier, which I believe is 50x4 RMS, will this be a good match to that set?
Also how hard is it to install this stuff in a regular cab truck doorm? The 6.5" will fit in the factory spot but I will be needing a place for the crossover and a spot for the tweeter made. Will the crossovers fit behind the kick panels?
Thanks in advance, sorry for the large amount of text but I prefer to be thorough.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
First off do they sound good to you? Have you compared them to other speakers on the wall? As it stands those speakers, in my opinion are good speakers as far as quality goes so it's up to your ears.
Over time and now experience I find that mounting the tweeter closer or as close to the midrange will provide the best sq. Placing the tweeter too far away, and especially up high will leave you cringing.
You are right on about locating the cross overs in the kick panels or under the dash. Don't put them in the doors, too many problems with that like water, dirt, the continual slamming of the door, etc.
Take your time, look it over, plan it and do it right. The install is just as important as the equipment.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
As far as sound, I honestly liked everything that was on the board, however thats just it, it's still on a board and not in a vehicle with the rest of my setup. I figured that was a good deal for the Hexs, but I wanted to get some opinions before proceeding, I will probably be getting them this Friday. It's just too bad I don't have the cash or space for the Alpine F#1 3 ways, they sound great but cost almost $800 bucks.
The owner also suggested mounting the tweeter as near to the midrange as possible is a good idea, and I plan to do so, but how difficult is fabricating a custom spot for it, givin that I am terrible at fabrication but can do installs well enough. Maybe do most of the install myself and get the shop to fabricate the tweeter mount points?
Thank you for the advice.
samroza 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

Do the compnents come with a tweeter mounting pod? Most component sets I've seen come with some way to mount the tweets.

Sam Roza
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
What fabrication are you referring to? Fiberglass? or just flush mounting them?
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure if they have one or not, but most likely yes.   I am concerned about cutting the door panel the most and getting them to be on the same plane as the midrange, as far as that aspect of mounting I am sure I can get them in. I also have no clue how to set crossovers but I think the shop can help me with that, and if not I will be back here asking for help again I am sure.
spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
$300 to much u can get sound stream components for $130 brand new shiped to your door full warranty woodland electronics 218-390-3334 speak with jim
dwarren 
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Jesus, I really hope soundstream pays you spl144.
As far as the tweeter being on the same plane, you should probably aim them up to you. Before you install them simply run the tweeter wire across the door panel and either have someone aim them, or use double stick tape and experiment to see what direction sounds best to you.
If you do decide to cut the doors a rotary tool will be great, like one from sears. Check into what mounting hardware is supplied, I personally like flush mounting tweeters. It looks better.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
I was gonna say I hope this Jim guy was paying him lol, seems like every other post I have read today I see him plugging that place and Soundstream.
I plan to have them mounted flush with the panel, hence why I would need to cut. I am pretty sure I can have the tweeter within 6 inches of the midrange, is there such thing as too close? As far as a rotary tool or dremel, I think I may have or can borrow one.
Is there another way to mount these without cutting? If I go about selling the truck at some point I will probably remove this system and that hole will look strange, I would have to either stick another tweeter in there or possibly cover it again so not cutting would help in that respect, but I am not against modifying the panel if it will look and sound better.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
The Diamond set does come with mounting hardware for the tweeters according to the Hex manual on the Diamond site. I am not sure since they are a display set if he has all the parts around, but I am sure he will get me hardware if it isn't there.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic