my little project so far with pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ChrisZ3 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
@1hot944
I mixed an amount of bondo with some resin and a little acetone until i have an almost liquid mix. then added some hardener and mixed well again. I didn't use any ratio. It's the first time i was trying that and it came out very well. The mix is alot easier to apply with a brush and is time saving. Let cure and start sanding.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
what method did you use to strengthen the enclosure???
and also are you using liquid bondo to build up and shape the enclosure???
ChrisZ3 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
@audiomechanic
I layed on the inside 4 layers of mat. I am also going to put some rope dipped in resin on the inside.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
the rope thing is for if you are gonna add more layers......it is to give the mat and resin curves because that is where the strength comes from(curves)..... so if you are just gonna resin some rope to the outer layer, it prolly wont do much good unless more layers are added on top of the rope.
LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I usually use just resin to thin the bondo. If you use acetone it will make it too brittle. At least for paint purposes.
Having Fun in Texas!
"LatinMax"
kps67 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
latinmax how well does bond thinned with resin hold up on subwoofer enclosures
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, thats a nice clean job! I like it, cant wait to see the final product! my little project so far with pics - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
ChrisZ3, what hardner did you use for the mixture? resin or bondo? I have heard of this being done, more so with resin and acetone, not so much bondo, but have wondered if this was possible, since I am sure that is all spray bondo is. Just wasn't sure as to which chemical to mix in with it. But does look good so far. I hope to see it fully finished. I will be starting mine tomorrow, which is a complete trunk install with a false floor in a 99 Maxima. I will post pics, but please let me know about your mixture. Thanks!
Duke Duke
LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

kps67: It holds up great. You can add as much fiberglass resin as you want to it and get it pretty runny. That is what I do when I need to fill in small gaps, pin holes or small caveties that need a little more strength (tweeter pods) and then I use bondo hardener.

If the space is to big then I use ground up FG or cotton flux to thickin up the stuff.

Having Fun in Texas!
"LatinMax"
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
I like the idea of thinning the bondo iwth resin....The cotton flux ground up sounds like alos a good idea although ive never tried it....Very nice box by the way...post the finished product when you get the chance...Cant wait to see it
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic