what should an amp temp gauge read?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

What's up guys!.

I just got an autometer volt gauge, and an amp temp gauge.

I'm curious what the gauges should be between.

I have 3 Kenwood 1,000 watt amps each running to 3 JL W3 15"s. Right now, my amp temp reads about 110 degrees. It starts at about 60 or so, and it takes a good 30-45 mins of hard bass to get it to 110, and when it does get to 110, I usually shut my system down to let things cool off again, and start playing again. Is 110 too much?. The amps have built in fans, and I have an Optima battery running everything. So, i'm not sure if I should be concerned with the amp temp, or just keep on playing it and see when it stops going any higher.

And also, I am curious about my volt gauge. Right now, it usually stays between 13.0, and 13.9. Very rarely, it might dip down to 12.9, but barely. I know I need an high output alternator down the road, because even with 2 caps, and a Yellow Top.. my battery light on my dash comes on after about an hr of playing bass heavy tunes. Which i'm assuming means that the alt can't keep up with the battery drain.

Can anyone tell me where my numbers should be at?. Thanks!.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Your thermal readings are about inline with a system like yours running very hard. Have your amps ever shut down? They have built in thermal protection so if they are not in their operating temp range they would shut off. Your power numbers aren't bad either but I'm not a big fan of caps. Get the high output alternater ASAP.
turbeau 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
I would experiment a little first. Maybe run you system hard for a while until it shuts off if it does at all to see at what tempyour amps will shut off. Second as far as the batery problem goes http://www.hellroaring.com/audio2.htm try looking for something like these Autozone/Pepboys carry them in the battery area and run a deep cycle optima battery on the amp side and the optima you have now for your starting battery. I'll bet that should fix most all of your problems.
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the replies guys.

Nope, the amps never have shut down. Today on my way to work, which is almost 45 mins.. I played them hard.. the temp was up to around 130 or so, and my volts stayed around 12.3. I didn't really think about the thermal protection, so being they haven't cut out, I guess it's still in their operating range.

Should I be concerned about the volts though?. As soon as I shut my system off, the volts climb back up to around 13.5 or so, and stay in that area. I was told that if my volts drop below 13.0, that I should get a higher output alt, is that true?. I've had this current setup now for over a year, and every weekend I play my system hard. Only now am I noticing the volts though, because I just put in the volts meter.

I don't really want to get involved with a 2nd battery. I guess my question is, with my yellow top I currently have, along with my stock alt (I have a PT Cruiser) and the volts dropping below 13.0 everytime the system is turned on.. is a higher output alt a necessity?, and if so.. what type of alt should I get?.

Thanks!

TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
With that much power you should get an HO Alt in there as soon as possible. Also have you upgraded the big 3 yet?
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
turbeau 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
I also have PT and the only HO alt i could find is http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7978687623&category=33573&sspagename=WDVW i havnt gotten one yet since my stereo isnt all that yet, but in the next couple of months maybe more than i should have ( i want my kids to cry when i turn it on). Good luck hope this helps
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
( i want my kids to cry when i turn it on).
*** I can not resist!!!!!
Anyone here work for Social Services???????????????

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic