icon

overheating problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
i have 2 volfenhag 12's with 500 rms and i have a kicker ix2302 running 230x2 rms, my amp overheats and my subs are running dvc at 2 ohm and my amp running at 4 ohm. when i bridge my amp it will blow fuses and overheat also, need help so HELP me!!
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have a wiring issue.  Please describe your speaker wiring configuration, not just the ohm load you believe you have created.  What model numbers are the subs?
Support the12volt.com
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
i agree i think you have your amp running at 1 ohm not 4 your subs are dual 4 ohm and if thay are you need to do a series parrallel combo to get 4 ohm mono wire the coils in series and the wires from the box in parrallel and if you dont get what im say go to www.rockfordfosgate.com thay have sub wiring diagrams that are very easy to understand 
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
I'm running 8 guage power and ground. i don't kno all i can say is that they are 1000pk and 500 rms each, i got the bass on it about 3/4 up and i got the subs running 2 ohms but i think the amp is running 4, how can i mak the amp play at 2 ohms?
shkeel 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know about your overheating problem but running that kind of an amp on 8 gauge doesnt seem too safe.  If i were u i would rewire the whole thing with 4 guage power and ground.  How big of a fuse are you using?  I think u should start from scratch with the sub wiring too.  Come up with an idea for a configuration then ask the pros if anythings gunna blow up.
94 Camaro Z28
Jensen 7" Indash-DVD/mp3/tv
Rockford ChromeSeries 600/2
Power Accoustic 12" Dvc700rms
Rockford Power T162C
JLaudio 6.5" 75rms
PS2 Slim hardwired
Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

memfus_boi wrote:
I'm running 8 guage power and ground. i don't kno all i can say is that they are 1000pk and 500 rms each, i got the bass on it about 3/4 up and i got the subs running 2 ohms but i think the amp is running 4, how can i mak the amp play at 2 ohms?

I'm concerned about a couple of comments here.  First, if you "got your subs running 2 ohms" what do you mean by that?  Is each sub wired for 2 ohms?  How do you know?  How are they connected to the amp?  Second, the amplifier will operate into whatever load is presented by your speakers.  You don't "play it" at any impedence load other than what the speakers place on it.  If you wnat it to "run at 4 ohms" then you must connect a 4-ohm load to it.  This gets back to the first question, especially since your Kicker amp is stereo and requires no less than a 4-ohm load if it's bridged so you cannot "play it at 2 ohms" safely no matter what you do.  Thirdly, what do you mean you "got the bass on it about 3/4 up"?  What bass?  Do you mean the amplifier gain, or a bass boost?  Or the bass tone control in your head unit?

I can't help you until I know what you are doing and how your speakers are connected to the amp.  If these are questions you cannot answer, then you may need to seek ot some help from a pro in your area.

Support the12volt.com
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i'm kinda new to this but let me explain.... i have the kicker i2302<600 rms> and 2 Volfenhag's<500 rms>. I followed the directions and hooked them up for a 2 ohm setup. Each Speaker is on each seperate channel. Each speaker is hook up positive to positive,vice versa, on each speaker, running it on a 8 guage wire kit. On my amp i have "bass", "treble", Frequency", And "mode" (off,hp,lp). My bass is turned up 3/4 and i'm playin the amp on LP. do that clear things up?? Also i gave a large 50a fuse inside my power wire.
DYohn 
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I looked up your Impulse 2302.  It's a 1999 model, so it may simply be overheating because it's old and worn out.  But Kicker made really good amps then, so it may still be OK.  It is rated at 360 watts per channel into 2 ohms, by the way, so I agree with the person who suggested you really need 4 gage power cable, although that is not the cause of your overheating.  I'd also suggest turning that bass boost DOWN to zero, by the way.  HERE's the manual in case you don't have it.

One last question: how did you set the input gain?

Support the12volt.com
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
"gain" all the things i have on my amp is bass, treble, frew, and the other thing thats says OFF,LP,HP, but i have mt gain up about 3/4 and my treble all the ways down plus its on LP
memfus_boi 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
mines is kinda like option i but each speaker is ran off its own channel http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=28&image.y=6&image=Submit
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic