Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

hello everybody

i am sorry if this topic was discussed before, if so please forgive me

i have a system that is 500 rms and i need to make the voltage stable

please tell me or direct to build this

note(1): i am using 72 amp  car battary in standard family toyota

note (2) since i am nebwie i may not understand very complicated diagrams please let it be clear

thank you for reading...

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

are you having a voltage drop when you are playing the system 500 rms is a lot of power to run off a stock battery and alternater ? what kind of amp what kind of toyota and is the amp class D you may just need more eletrical power  and what are the cold cranking amps on your battery ? let me know more and i can tell you more

Adam

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
No diagram necessary. If your are using too small an alternator, you need to upgrade it.
Your 500 watt amplifier will demand approximately 750 watts from the battery. 750w / 14.4v = 52a
Your stock system will probably be OK with a load like this, but not for ever. I would recommend upgrading your alternator to (if possible) somewhere in the 110 to 120 amp range.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
nikel 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

well

first of all i must say that its soo kind that you reply my question,

my  first amplifier is a pioneer 2*240 mono (it says 640 watts in its book)

my second amplifier is 2*200 standart amplifier( 2*100 rms i guess)

and i have a tape 4*50 (4*25 rms)

if you add them all up it makes more than 500 rms .. :)

my problem is to building a capasitor by connecting small capacitors with apropriate diagram

in other words i wanna make the capasitor that is sold arround for 200 to 1000 $...

thank you for reading

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
A "stiffening capacitor" will NOT fix a low current situation (and this is what it sounds like you are trying to avoid/fix) The ONLY solution is a higher current SOURCE - which is your alternator.
Otherwise, capacitance is additive when paralleled, all you need is a crap load of smaller value electrolytic capacitors. Remember, that if you decide to go this way, the number of smaller caps will be HUGE, and the number of hagher value caps will be smaller, but their cost will be higher PER cap...
Tha math goes like this:
1,000,000 microF / 10,000 microF = 100 capacitors in parallel.
1,000,000 microF / 2200 microF = 455 capacitors in parallel.
Here's the diagram:
voltage stabiliser diagram - Last Post -- posted image.
Just continue this same example until you get all 455 of those caps attatched to that printed circuit board, and let us know how FREAKIN' HUGE it is when you get done with it, OK...
My suggestion? Go buy the "stiffening cap" if you are REALLY bent on getting one, but my first suggestion still stands - you need an ALTERNATOR FIRST!!!!!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
i agree alternater most of the time you can get your alternater rebuilt $200 to $350 at a local auto eletric shop to put out double the amps that will make upgrades more of an open option
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
nikel 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst, you couldnt be more explicit and funny

i dont know how to thank you, so i will try the traditional way

THANK YOU, DUDE

samroza 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

When I was younger and stiffening caps were new to the market I couldn't afford one. So I found some large-bodied high voltage caps and wired them all in parallel, taped them together, and voila! I had 2F of capacitor at the ready. I think I paid like .50 each for them at an electronics oddity warehouse.

Sam Roza

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic